1753964 Members
7520 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrading online from array 221

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

upgrading online from array 221

My 221 array controller will not allow me to expand the array. Can I purchase another controller that will allow me to preserve my cuurent array seetintgs yet allow me to expand both the array and logical drives?
I would like to install the new controller and maintain my current arrays? Whar are the risks?
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You are correct. The SmartArray 221 model does not support expansion of a logical array volume. But the Smart-221 Array Controller can be migrated to one of the following models.

• Smart-2/E Array Controller (3.00 firmware needed for more than 7 drives)
  • Smart-2/P Array Controller (3.00 firmware needed for more than 7 drives)
  • Smart-2DH Array Controller (3.00 firmware needed for more than 7 drives)
  • All Smart-3xxx Array Controllers
  • All Smart-4xxx Array Controllers

By using the latest 3xxx and 4xxx models, the logical array volume can be expanded.

Considerations:

• The firmware on the new controller should equal or exceed the revision level on the old controller.
  • New firmware frequently introduces new capabilities that are stamped on the hard drives, which may at best be ignored by older firmware and at worst corrupt data.
  • Other utilities, such as the System Configuration Utility and the Array Configuration Utility, as well as the NOS drivers may have to be upgraded alongside the firmware. This in turn may required patch support in the NOS and/or applications.
  • If the drives are being moved from one server or Proliant Storage System to the other, the target may or may not accommodate the same number of hard drives.
  • Performance may degrade when moving from Wide-Ultra2 to Wide-Ultra controllers, but functionality will be retained.

See the user manuals for the different models of array controllers at this web address.
http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/user_reference_guides/index.html#Options
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thank you

But I do have a follow-up question? Dos this mean I can actualy swap the two array controllers? I would like to remove the array 221 controller from my compaq prolinat 5000 and replace it with one of the aforementioned controller cards? I am to assume each of the cards mentioned will be capable of an upgrade?

Where can I get detailed instructions on how to upgrade the 221 array controller?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The information you're looking for should be in the users guide for the controller you're moving the array to - the users guides are located at http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/user_reference_guides/index.html
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

To Robert I:

Do you mean the 221 array controller is NOT upgradable with the 431?
I tell you this because I made the upgrade, it works but I can't expand the array! (it tells me that it can't expand an array made by an earlier different controller)
Is there a work around to get it work?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Unfotunately you can't expand the array because it was created with the 221 controller, the RIS info is different. Workaround from another posting: install the new controller, reboot to NT, check that all is ok, FAIL one of the disks in the array, replace with a new drive, wait for the rebuild to complete. The RAID controller should now update the Array info and allow for expansion. of course, do a full backup first.