3940 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: use MSA 500 as shelf for MSA 1000?

AccuMegalith
Advisor

use MSA 500 as shelf for MSA 1000?

yet another one:

We've migrated all our online storage to our EVA 4100, which leaves us with a mostly idle MSA 1000 and a pair of MSA 500s. If we could combine the available storage in all three of these, we'd have a good near-line disk archive. Since most of our compute resources are now c-class blades, the MSA 1000, connected to the SAN fabric, would be the best controller for all these disks.

Both of the MSA 500s have two controllers each. Is there any way to connect the MSA 500s to the MSA 1000, and have the MSA 1000 controller manage all the disks? In effect, to use the MSA 500s as MSA 30 shelves? If so, how would I need to reconfigure the hardware?
White water rafting on a river of acid
4 REPLIES 4
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

AFAIK no you cannot do this, i would have thought your options would be - keep your disks buy two more shelves for the msa1000 or if you've dual controllers in the msa1000 and fault tolerance is not an issue - take one controller from msa1000 and put it into one of the msa500's (remove all msa500 controllers) buy one msa1000 controller for the other msa500 and two fc modules one for each msa500 to give you three msa1000 storage arrays !?

fwiw

AccuMegalith
Advisor

I should've pointed out:

1. the MSA has only one controller, so I can't remove one to install in one of the MSA 500s.

2. my budget for this task is limited to what I can scrounge from pay phone and vending machine coin returns, so buying anything more costly than a cable is out of the question.
White water rafting on a river of acid
Chris Rosan2
Frequent Advisor

Have you got a server that you can connect the different storage shelves up to and use the server as sort of a "NAS"?

Worst case it may cost you a couple of controllers if you don't have any lying around.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

you can't use the MSA500 as a extension shelf for the MSA1000. Only MSA30 are supported as an extension shelf. The MSA500 is not a JBOD, but a disk-storage with SCSI host connect.

You can attach the MSA1000 and the MSA500 to one or two servers and use this server to pool the storage. Maybe you can use something like DataCore SANmelody, or with VMware ESX the HP LeftHand VSA, to export the storage by iSCSI.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick