4113 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

using a NON hp HDD (compaq hdd) in a VA7110

Delrish
Trusted Contributor

using a NON hp HDD (compaq hdd) in a VA7110

Hi All,

I want to use a compaq FC HDD in VA7110.However VA7110 does not include it in Array because of its firmare. I tried to change its firmware but VA was checking its current firmware and did not allow me to change it (VA detect the HDD as a NON HP HDD)
All of us know compaq was integrated with HP but we cnannot use a compaq HDD in HP VA7110. Do you any fix for this problem?

Alireza
5 REPLIES 5
Thayanidhi
Honored Contributor

Re: using a NON hp HDD (compaq hdd) in a VA7110

Hi,
Though HP & Compaq merged, the technology behind VA71xx and EVA is not merged!!
A disk designed for specific system should be used in that system only unless defined by manufacturer.
It may be impossible and unsupported what you are trying!

Regds
TT
Attitude (not aptitude) determines altitude.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Alireza,

You can NOT do this! Not even every original HP disk fits in a VA array. Only supported disk drives are working in the array. Absolutly no chance to change this, sorry.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Delrish
Trusted Contributor

Thank you,

Everything in both HDDs ( original producer, product & product number,...) are similar.The difference is just firmware.One of them has Compaq's Firmware and another has HP's firmware. Is it possible to migrate from Compaq's firmware to HP's firmware? ( I think it should be possible but I do not know how.)

Alireza
e4services
Honored Contributor

Depends on the drives actual manufacturer. Some manufacturers allowed access to the Firmware, others not. IF a tool exists from the manufacturer, you could back up the Firmware from the original and the flash it to the new one and see what happens.
Wasn't this an annoying practice?
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Delrish
Trusted Contributor

I tried to change the firmware with both STM and commandvoew sdm, but they are checking the current firmware first and do not allow me to change the firmware, becuase the current firmware is belong to Compaq. Do you any any other utility for this case?

Alireza