108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: va7100 - adding 2 new disks - FC

SOLVED
Go to solution
joe_91
Super Advisor

va7100 - adding 2 new disks - FC

I am adding 2 new disks to the VA7100. Here is what i planned to do. Since these disks are hot swappable and communicating via FC..i think i just have to plug in the drives and then it would automatically sync up with the existing drives (i have 8 already in the va array, this would make it 10..set up on HP AUTORAID). since this a production server running oracle.i have this doubt..should i stop the database? I did the same in the QA environment and these was no issue at all the disks just synced up as i watched in commandview. It took about 10-15 minutes before it showed up as included in commandview. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, you should not need to stop your DB's. You're not actually doing anything to the filesystem itself, so I/O's should be safe.

Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

You don't have to do anything.

A VA rebuilds al its data automaticly
Mike Shilladay
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe,

Just to add a little extra info which is largely academic, from my expierience the VA's do reorganisation of the data at quiet times. For us it was after 2am, so all the reorganisation was done with minimal impact to users. (By reorganisation I mean capacity balancing all the spindles and I believe the VA decides on the RAID level for the various LUN's based on usage - hence the name AutoRAID.)

Mike.

Mike.
joe_91
Super Advisor

Thanks