Disk Enclosures
1753513 Members
5846 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: va7400,disk array 2405 and brocade connectivity ????

SOLVED
Go to solution
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

va7400,disk array 2405 and brocade connectivity ????

We have recently purchased 1 VA7400 , 1 2405 Disk Array and a brocade switch . Can anybody tell me their connectivity diagram and basic commands to configure the disk drives to a HP host. What do i need to run the commands - s/w or any connection to VA7400 serial port.

Connectivity means - like Cable from VA7400(Disk FA or Host FA to where - switch ??)
What types of cable we need ?
HOw to connect 2405 disk to VA7400 ???
and then after connection , how to run the commands .

I know the zonning part .

I didn't recd any mannual with VA7400 and 2405 disk arrays. Any quick help will be appriciated.

14 REPLIES 14
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

As far as the software you need, you should have received CommandView software with the VA7400. If not, call your vendor, or HP to get it. it's necessary to have this to set up the LUNs on the VA7400.

You need fibre channel cables. Connect the DS2405 to the VA7400 by running the FC cable from the 'disk' port on the VA7400 to one of the ports on the DS2405. repeat this step for the additional controller, if applicable. How you specifically connect to the switch depends on your particular setup. The connection should be from the port that says 'host' to the switch.

With as much assistance as you need, I would call HP to have the va7400 installed. The setup of the VA7400 is fairly complex. Also, HP will probably have to reseat the controllers after shipping.

-Josh
What are the chances...
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

I was going through the steps :

- How do set FC loop speed to 1 GB ?? Do i need to open VA7400 or 2405 and change something ???

- I have 2 controllers on 2405 - port 0 and port 1 for first controller and port 0 and port 1 for second controller . On VA7400 , 2 controllers - FC and Disk for 1 first controller and FC and Disk for 2nd Controller . That means i can connect port 0 on first controller of 2405 to Disk port on VA7400 on first controller and same for other one . But then what is use for 1 extra port on each controller on 2405 ? Is this for expansion .

Also , can i download the depot for Command View S/w .

Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

i read the mannual and got the answer for how to change the FC loop speed. So don't reply for that .

Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The purpose of the second port on the DS2405 is to add more ds2405 enclosures. you can have up to 6 connected to one va7400.
What are the chances...
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

what next . I am now connected VA7400 through RS-232 port . Do i need to make any changes here . What options or commands ? Or everything default is ok and i just need to format the drive.

Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Set default host port behavior for controllers 'mgr -os', then format VA. Connect it and a host to the switch, install CommandView to the host and manage VA using it.
CommandView is not downloadable. You should have a copy with your VA, or contact HP to obtain one.
Eugeny
PS. Did you find links I've posted above so unusable?
PSS. Which firmware VA has?
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

What O/S are you running on the host?
What are the chances...
Deepak Seth_1
Regular Advisor

Iam going to connect to HPUX host only . Don't know about whcih Firmfirm either . Till i get my commandview CD , i have done the following

- formatted the array using - vfpfmt command
- then created a LUN 0 using cfg -L 0 -a 8 -g 1 command .

- then i connected all the cables fm 2405 to VA7400 and VA7400 to switch and also hp host to switch . I logged into the switch and zonned my host HBA to both FA ports . Is this ok ??

Can i do anything now till i get commandview CD.

Those mannual were of great help .
Thanks