1748289 Members
3248 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

xp256 support price hike.

George_Dodds
Honored Contributor

xp256 support price hike.

Last october i got a qoute a support contract on our xp256 which came to ??8000.
I've just got a new quote and for the same cover it came to ??63000!

On questioning the difference since the last qoute, i was informed that this was due to price restructuring!

I laughed and told them to call me back with a sensible reason and price.

Anybody else had this problem ??

Ta

George
8 REPLIES 8
Stuart Coombes_1

Re: xp256 support price hike.

I imagine that this could be somthing to do with the availability of new disk mechs. due to discontinuance?
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

Here's one thing you can try:

Buy your support through your local HP VAR.

Support purchased directly from HP is *NEVER* discounted, but the VAR can offer a discount up to ~30% or so.

HTH,
Paul
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Was some of your gear in the XP under warranty and now coming out of warranty, requiring full price maintenance? This is typical when you do upgrades to a system. It's difficult to get everything renewing at the same time.

It's pretty common for vendors to price you out of old eqipment by rainsing the support costs. However, an almost 8 times increase is ridiculous. They need to take another look at those prices.

Are they discounting the maintenance? I always get a discount on my maintenance from HP. Do not need to go through a VAR.

George_Dodds
Honored Contributor

whole system is only 18 months old and has had no upgrades, hp have knocked 10k off by dropping the "how are you doing visits" from 10 to 1 a year.

But even 50k + is still far too pricey, and in the current economic climate, there clutching at straws if they thing were going to upgrade.

Cheers

George
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

If your system is only 18 months old, last year you were likely only paying for part of a year of maintainence, since you would have had some warrenty coverage still left. Now you see the real cost of ownership...

We have seen this over and over. That does not seem too high of a cost, based on what we get dinged for some of our stuff..

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi George

have you tried gettig a quote from a third party if its a lot cheaper you may be able to use this to try and get the price down some more.

cheers
John.
George_Dodds
Honored Contributor

Hi John

had a meeting yesterday with one, looks like the only affordable option.

Cheers

George
John Carr_2
Honored Contributor

Hi again

I can recommend Indecs Group as having proven to be reliable and good in the past.

Bob Brasen @ Indecs Group

also
Lis Perman @ 0121 251 5151

smaller stuff from John @ www.honeycell.com

more quotes the better for negotiation I always find.

cheers
John.