4598 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

xpinfo shows O MB on "secondary" node

QUANG_4
Occasional Contributor

xpinfo shows O MB on "secondary" node

Hi,

We have a two-node SAP cluster (on HP-UX 11.00) connected to an XP-48 disk array (instance PRD). On the backup node there is also a "quality assurance" instance of SAP running (instance QTY).

Now, our need is to recover some disk space used by QTY for PRD. We have already added an unused OPEN-E*4 device to QTY thus making it possible de liberate an OPEN-E*2 device previously used by QTY. We've done a vgreduce to remove the device from the QTY VG.

The remaining question is to be 100 % sure that the OPEN-E*2 device (/dev/dsk/c[58]t2d0) from QTY is the SAME device as another OPEN-E*2 device (also identified by /dev/dsk/c[58]t2d0) on PRD (but not used).

By using xpinfo I get the following information:

On QTY:

qty:/root/home/root#xpinfo -f /dev/rdsk/c5t2d0

Device File : /dev/rdsk/c5t2d0
ALPA : d3
Target : 0c
LUN : 10
Port : CL2A
CU:LDev : 00:07
Type : OPEN-E*2
Size : 27786 MB
Code Rev : 0113
RAID Level : RAID5
Disk Mechs : HDU-00 HDU-10 HDU-20 HDU-30
RAID Group : 1-1

and on the alternate path:

qty:/root/home/root#xpinfo -f /dev/rdsk/c8t2d0

Device File : /dev/rdsk/c8t2d0
ALPA : ef
Target : 00
Port : CL1A
Size : 27786 MB
Code Rev : 0113

On PRD:

prd:/root/home/root#xpinfo -f /dev/rdsk/c5t2d0

Device File : /dev/rdsk/c5t2d0
ALPA : ef
Target : 00
Port : CL1A
Size : 0 MB
Code Rev : 0113 RAID Level : RAID5

and on the alternate path:

prd:/root/home/root#xpinfo -f /dev/rdsk/c8t2d0

Device File : /dev/rdsk/c8t2d0
ALPA : d3
Target : 0c
Port : CL2A
Size : 0 MB
Code Rev : 0113 Disk Mechs : HDU-00 HDU-10 HDU-20 HDU-30

Apart from the fact that the AP is "inverted" this seems to be the same device, BUT ... why is the size 0 MB on PRD?!

Are there any other verifications I can do? Currently I do not have access to the XP-48 directly, since we're waiting for a PC on which to install Remote Control (and maybe Command View XP).

I've got a hunch that this is due to a protection of the device, probably at the XP-48 level (LUN Security). I don't think it's a zoning question (on the Brocade) since in that case I wouldn't see the device at all (or would I?).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Frank Olsen
Steria
2 REPLIES 2
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Re: xpinfo shows O MB on "secondary" node

I would do a diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c8t2d0
If you get a 0 size again, there is a problem accessing the drive.

I've seen this on EMC and EVA arrays when accessing a path that is to the passive controller or there is another issue that does not give full access to the drive.

Seems that the system can see that there is a drive at that location but cannot access it using that path.
QUANG_4
Occasional Contributor

Re: xpinfo shows O MB on "secondary" node

Hi,

Thanks for you reply. I've executed the diskinfo on both the device as seen through the two paths, and the disk has zero size still.

This was already the case for xpinfo (for which the output is given for both paths in my original posting).

Another idea may be that the device ("in an earlier life") was used on the "prd" node and that the configuration is still there although there is no real path to the device. I don't know if this is possible on HP-UX 11.00?

Best regards,

Frank