Re: Compression on tape drives in a VLS

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Kennedy_6
Frequent Advisor

Compression on tape drives in a VLS

Hiya,
We have a VLS6840.
We have created an 8 drive MSL6060 virtual library.
We ran out of space on the library, so we have decided to enable compression.
The only way to do this (it appears) is to destroy the tape drives and recreate them.

I have 2 questions.
1. Can we enable compression any other way.
2. If I delete a drive and recreate it, will it generate a new serial number or will it create the same one again.

Thanks in advance.
David
6 REPLIES 6
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

unless i'm mistaken, hardware compression is used by default, and the "compress" option is for software compression.....

if thats the case, you don't want it enabled, as the hardware would attempt to compress an already compressed file. Plus, the back-up would take longer.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

never mind the previous, applies to physical tapes, not virtual.....

Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

Moving to the storage forum, they may be able to answer your "hardware" specific question.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

For what I know, and according with the user manual, there is no way to switch a drive for HW notcompressible to a drive with compression, this function is set when you create a drive.
you still have some option:
- You can increase the capacity of a VLS by enabling device-side data compression
when creating a new tape drive(s). I do not know if it will have a new serial number, I suppose so, but this should not have to create problem on your system, just update your backup application, similar to when you have to replace a read drive. And deleting four of the drive and adding 4 new compressible drive may give you both options (compression and no compression)
-You can also add capacity by adding a VLS 2.5TB capacity bundle to the VLS, or by
adding an existing MSA20 disk array with twelve blank 250 GB hard drives and the
latest MSA20 firmware, and a capacity license to the VLS.>> this would be the best choice, now a days, the data are already compressed and optimized by the applications and the OS, so enabling the HW compression will not allow you to double the capacity, but just to increase the capacity depending of the kind of data.
-Last option is to enable SW compression on your backup application.
VCP2005
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Based on my experience,
1. the only way delete the drive & recreate..

2. tried delete & recreate , same serial number .
David Kennedy_6
Frequent Advisor

Just to let you know,
We deleted and recreated the drives on the VLS and enabled compression.
The new drives kept the same serial number as the old.
Cheers