1752363 Members
6189 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Convert VLS 6510 to Windows

Cybdiver
Occasional Contributor

Convert VLS 6510 to Windows

I have a VLS 6510 with 2 X MSA20 Arrays filled with 500Gb drives. I want to configure them to be SANs.

Has anyone done that? Can it be done?
7 REPLIES 7
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Those are standard ProLiant servers as the nodes/heads. If I recall correctly, the disk shelves are standard MSA20 disk shelves. The MSA20 shelves are SCSI-attach, though, so they would be direct-connect storage to some server, not part of a SAN.

So yes... I think it's possible to blow away the VLS OS and load Windows on the node/head, and then use the MSA20 as direct-connect storage.... but that will be some very expensive storage and one Windows server, because the value add is in the VLS software.

If the system is operational, you'd probably get enough money by selling it as a VLS (with all attendant licenses) to buy a new MSA 2000 G2 or G3 array.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Cybdiver
Occasional Contributor

Its even more expensive since we have no tapes. I'm looking for ways to make the system generic. I understand that as a VLS it might be more efficent but it does me no good and I have no one to sell it to.
thomasr
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure from your second posting if you need more from me. If so, please let me know how I can help.

These systems do use standard ProLiant and MSA hardware, and you should be able to re-purpose them. You should be able to set the server up as a file server, or attach the disks to some other system with a pSCSI-based SmartArray controller.

I'm a bit confused by your statement that you can't use this as a VLS since you don't have tape; While HP built a lot of tape-friendly features in to the VLS (and D2D Backup System as well) you don't need tape to get many benefits from a virtual library system. Admittedly, using tape with a VLS can give you a more robust backup system, covering both fast local restores, protection at a remote site in case of a site-wide meltdown, and inexpensive long-term archiving... but having tape is not a requirement to use a VLS.
--
Cybdiver
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Yes I know that tape is not required but as you say it would not be so robust.
My goal is to be able to sync the system with a system in another location. However we do not have the funding for another VLS nor do we have the funding for Tapes. So it was my thought to just use it as a SAN and get another SAN and sync the systems.
But I'm open to suggestions.
Keep in mind I have alot of data with very little funding, okay almost no funding.
So I must have a good IT magic wand.
thomasr
Respected Contributor

First thing I need you to do is qualify what "a lot of data" is to you. I spoke with a customer last year who had over a petabyte with absolutely no data protection solution... let's hope you're not in their boat!

I saw recently that HP has a trade-in program. I wonder if they'd take your VLS6510 as trade-in against a pair of appropriately-sized D2D Backup Systems. See http://www.hp.com/united-states/tradein/enterprise.html

The D2D Backup System features deduplication which lets you keep backups around much longer in the same space, and enables low-bandwidth replication, which would meet your need for site replication.

Low-bandwidth replication sends just the new blocks plus some metadata to the remote system, and from that, the remote system creates the same backups as the local one. It is a licensed feature.
--
Cybdiver
Occasional Contributor

Okay your customer has me beat I only have about 50Tb but growing rapidly. I would say our data growth is going to hit the petabyte in maybe 3 to 5 years.
Robert Rait

Just to follow up, I was able to convert the system to Windows and using array manager see and configure the drives.
All that was needed was to download the NIC drivers from the HP site.