New Discussion юеВ

Re: D2D Backup System Vs Tape Backup Vs Standard Disk Backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
mohannad
Frequent Advisor

D2D Backup System Vs Tape Backup Vs Standard Disk Backup

Hi All,

My backup is taking too long over LTO-5 FC, im trying to reduce the window will HP D2D help ??

ive read in some forms that it takes more time when dedup is used !!

Do i have any other option for disk based backup either than the D2D system ??

Regards,
Mohannad

P.S. This thread has been moved from Tape Libraries and Drives to Disk-Based Backup. - Hp forum Moderator

11 REPLIES 11
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

The LTO 5 is a very fast drive so the first thing I'd check is if you're actually getting data to it fast enough. It's often the source data that is the bottleneck and that determines the backup window - in which case it doesn't matter what device you have at the other end.

My suggestion is to use the LTT diagnostic (http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools ) and run the system performance backup pre-test to measure how fast your source data can be accessed. If that's not as fast as the drive can accept it (~240MB/S at 2:1) then that's where your bottleneck is.

Of course, if you can source your data at over 240MB/S then you probably need something more substantial than a single tape drive to receive it.

You could also pull a support ticket after your backup is complete and that will tell you how much data, what data rates and what compression ratios you are getting.

Post the ticket here and we'll take a look.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
mohannad
Frequent Advisor

Hi Richard,

the main point in this thread is to differentiate between D2D solutions and Standard D2T solutions in terms of throughput, i don├в t have any problems in my tape device and i am getting the maximum through put of itp; no help is needed here.

Every sales guy I had is telling me D2D is supposed to be faster than D2T but i cant see that when the maximum through put of the a D2D system is 2.4 TB, and 2 TB per tape drive which makes my MSL 6060 4 times any available D2D
mohannad
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sudhakar,

partially, because not all the VLS systems have increased through-put over the tape devices and when thats true the costs are sky high, i hoped that the D2D might be a considrable solution but looks like its not.

Thanks,
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

I've had a chat with the D2D performance guy and there are two important keys to performance:
1) A single stream (to a single virtual tape drive) is limited to about 250MB/S. You can go much higher than that if you use multiple streams as long as...
2) The de-dup kicks in which reduces the need for internal disk writes and your overall throughput can go up.

Your first backup to D2D will be about the same as to a single tape drive. After that, it should increase as duplicate data can be skipped over. You'll need to use multiple streams to get the most out of it.

Obviously the amount of 'de-duping' you get will depend on your data.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

As stated above, a LTO5 is a very fast drive, the server must have a very fast disk subystem to feed it at full speed all the time.
The idea behind D2D backup is that you can define many drives and have more backups running in parallel. You can have one drive for each server, or even for each backup job, so you can be copying one F:\ to one virtual drive and G:\ to another one.

A VLS can handle many hundreds of MB/s, depending on the number of disks it has.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I run two LTO-4 tape drives. I am considering a two more tape drives to speed up backups. I split the servers up between the two drives. I can backup in 5.5 Hours due to connectivity of 3 of the servers.

My concern about D2D and Deduplication is not having a backup off site. My CFO wanted to do off-site D2D. With 900 GB of data, I recommadned a Active to Active off-site SAN solution instead. You will want to do a full backup off-site a few times a year. Across a T1, 900GB was 55 days.
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

As Richard has stated, the D2D really does well when multiple streams are sent to it in parallel. If you want to maixmimse performance you need to run it in this way and you will not acheive headline performance with 1 or just a few parallel streams.

Michael, D2D replication would work well for keeping remote copies of backups. Once the initial seeding backup is done from source to target then only the chanegs from one backup to the next would be sent across your low bandwidth replication link.

There is a D2D performance best practices document at http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02511912/c02511912.pdf

that discusses how to configure a D2D for best performance and some of the factors to be aware of. There is also content there for replication and many other elements

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
mohannad
Frequent Advisor

Hi Richard,

Sorry ive been away for the past few days, actually during my trip ive seen a HP presales and hs official response was that D2D is not compared to tape in terms of speed becuse there isnt that enhancment in the performance.

But what you said is intresting i never did think about multi-streaming to the D2D,since in normal busnsise practice due to source issues you can never achive tape maximum throughput; using D2D multi-streaming will difenitly help in the process.

But im wondering

1-How many parallel streams can i run at once.
2-when deduplication kicks in its going to decrease the performance so in avarage whats the maximum throuhput that i should excpect from the D2D system