108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

D2D2503i: Slow Performance When Copying To Attached Tape Drive

Hettegger Matthias
Occasional Contributor

D2D2503i: Slow Performance When Copying To Attached Tape Drive

Hello Everybody

I've got following situation:

We recently bought a D2D2303i Backup System and a HP SC11Xe host bus adapter in order to attach a LTO-3 Ultrium 960 external tape drive.

Now the problem is, that when we try to copy a
virtual cartridge to a physical cartridge in the attached tape drive, the copy performance is extremly slow, approximately 2 MByte/s. Our usual ammount of backup data is about 400 GB, so you can imagine, that the copy process takes ages.

I attached a screenshot, which shows the library configuration.

Any help that solves this problem will be appreciated

Regards,
Matth
2 REPLIES 2
DanC_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: D2D2503i: Slow Performance When Copying To Attached Tape Drive

Hi Matth,
Are you doing the copy to physical tape immediately after a backup? If so, try leaving the copy for a few hours.
After a backup which involves overwriting a cartridge it takes a bit of time to tidy up the references in deduplication, this could have an impact on tape offload performance.
Regards
Dan
ashraf.khalifah

Re: D2D2503i: Slow Performance When Copying To Attached Tape Drive

hi
I have D2d2503i and when we bought it the hp ressellers described it as space machine (super machine) high speed and high performance and deduplication and automation and............. but when we tried it we found misrable device,slow, bad performance the backup speed is about 9Gb per Hour and when we make abackup from d2d device to directly attached tape drive; the backup speed is about 5Gb per Hour

we have three servers;two of them have 300Gb of data

any one can help?