New Discussion юеВ

D2D4112 and data protector 6.0 integration and configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

D2D4112 and data protector 6.0 integration and configuration

hello experts

Can you please advise and recomend best practices for implementing a backup solution. Here are the details of the h/w configuration:-

Two Unix servers " HP-UX 11.23 and Oracle ver 10 databases" attached to SAN " data capacity used 3.5 TB"
One MSL4048 attached to SAN with 2 LTO5 drives , media 1.8TB r/w tapes.
5 Windows servers " one Exchange server, one sql server, one File and print server,one web server, one domain controller, attached to iSCSI dedicated network to two procurve switches. Data capacity used 2 TB.
D2D4112 with upgrade kit msa60 attached to SAN and iSCSI

Data protector 6.0 " cell manager Unix"with advance backup to disk licnese " 10 TB"

I would like to know which would be the recomended configs:-

Config A:-

Configure D2D4112 as Virtual tape libraries, one for the Unix enviroment and the other for the Windows enviroment.
How many drive slots " 8 or more", and what size of drives to choose.

Then backup from the D2D4112 to Tape MSL4048

Config B:-

Configure D2D 4112 and NFS, then backup to MSL4048.

Some manuals recomend NFS D2D backup solution and some to configure the D2D4112 as virtual tape libraries. I cannot find any manuals with configuration procedures step by step for Data Protector advance backup to disk. Please can someone who had success in the implementing the D2D4112 backup solution with DP6.0 give recomendations and step by step best practice scenarios with examples on the configs and setup.

Warm Regards
Jose
8 REPLIES 8
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

Re: D2D4112 and data protector 6.0 integration and configuration

You can use config B.

Below PDF will help you in config.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02295156.pdf
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Hello Sudhakar

Thankyou for the web link. I need your opinion on this question:_

If I configure the D2D for File Systems backup instead of Virtual Libraries will it backup the Unix SAN servers?

I know I can do this on the Windows server backups for they will be attached to the iSCSI network. Please advise.

Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor
Solution

yes you can

Below link will help you

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02299831.pdf
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Hello Sudhakar

Thank you for the information it is just what I was looking for. Next week I am going to configure the D2D and do tests with Data Protector.

Thanks
Jose
Sudhakar Subramaniam
Trusted Contributor

hi jose,
if the info was useful u can give scores to the answers
Dave Dewar
Trusted Contributor

Jose,

I would also recommend you read through the D2D best practices for performance. This includes some general guidelines and some NAS specific tips that would be relevant to you.

Its available at the following link:

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02511912/c02511912.pdf

Cheers,

Dave Dewar
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Hello Dave and Sudhakar

Yhank you for all the valuable information and hints. I have not closed the case yet for next week I am going to start configuring the D2D and DP 6.0 if I have any issues I will then request your assistance and advise, will keep you posted.

Warm Regards,
Jose
jose da silva
Frequent Advisor

Thanks to All who responded to this query . I finally configured the D2D4112 using VTL emulations. I seperated the Unix enviroment " connected to a SAN topology" and the Windows enviroment "connected to iSCSI network ". Then I configured a VTL library for the Unix "FC connectivity to D2D4112 FC ports" and configuered a VTL iSCSI library for each of the Windows servers in this case [5 VTL librariries]" using D2D4112 both lan ports shared and connected to two ports aggregated on a HP Procurve switch [1000 MB/s ports]" . This is working Well.