1752505 Members
5565 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lost access to VLS Command View

Kjetil_4
Occasional Advisor

Lost access to VLS Command View

Yesterday I installed a VLS6218 system and did the neccessary configuration to it. Everything worked pretty much as expected. By the end of the day I decided to do some configuration changes such as setting the host name and a ntp server. Immediately after this the GUI started giving me java exception errors and after restarting IE I was no longer able to log in.

I could still ping and ssh to the VLS, and tape operations from DP6.0 worked fine. Eventually i decided to restart the Commandview by with "restartCommandViewVLS". No go. Then "restartSystem" and eventually a "shutdownSystem" followed by a power cycle. None of them made me able to do a http:// or https:// to the system.

I wasn't even able to do a backup befor I ran into these problems and even if a "saveAllConfig" saves my configuration to /S2100/s2100_config.zip I'm not able to get hold of this file without the web GUI. I don't feel like using the quick restore DVD quite yet, since that means alot of reconfiguration.

Is there a way I can get to a "real" unix shell on the VLS so I can at least check out some log files and perhaps backup the /S2100/s2100_config.zip file?

Any input appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

The network settings are critical for VLS
you should set all the data during installation, including gateway and domain name.
internal components of the vls use these info for internal communication. if some of these parameters change, you can have problems.

try to put back original network parameters, or try to restore from quick restore cd and set again your new lan parameters
Kjetil_4
Occasional Advisor

Tried setting the original hostname through the CLI (which I luckily had written down). Then I committed and restarted but no luck in getting the webgui up and running...
Kjetil_4
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to HP support I was able to get a root shell on the VLS. The command hpservice -p did the trick.

So now I was able to scp the /S2100/s2100_config.zip to a safe location. The next thing is to run the quick restore dvd and import the config file.

The following is from the instructions HP sent me:
is the current L&TT service temporary password.
The current L&TT service temporary password can be obtained from the web site:
http://hpcrlib1.gr.hp.com. Click Diagnostics and then HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools. Then, select the appropriate option listed under Passwords.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Yes quick restore cd is the way to proceed, remember to set all the LAN parameters in the first config
marino
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

and... the link you pointed to is an intranet link, so not available to customers, this password should be provvided by HP support if needed