StoreOnce Backup Storage
1753487 Members
4651 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSL 8096 Partitioned for VLS Smart Copy & Regular Backup, Restore

MSL 8096 Partitioned for VLS Smart Copy & Regular Backup, Restore

Have anyone used a Partition on MSL Libraries for VLS Smart Copy while using the other partition(s) for Regular Backup and Restore.

Is it a viable solution?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Tape Libraries and Drives to Disk-Based Backup. - Hp Forum moderator

13 REPLIES 13
Efrain Valencia
Valued Contributor

Hello Sunil,

According to the User Guide the destination library must be fully dedicated to VLS, and no other application/device should access it.

Please review page 77
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01869504/c01869504.pdf

"The destination library can only be used for copy operations"

I hope this answered your question.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I don't know that we have tested that exact configuration but that is exactly the type of use that partitioning is designed for.

From the perspective of the applications each has their own library with slightly longer move times. As long as the VLS Smart Copy reads the number of slots from the library instead of assuming a particular library type will have a hard coded number of slots there shouldn't be any problem.

I am going to give it a try. In a week or so I will be able to find out whether it works or not. Definitely this is an option that works in theory. I wanted to see if someone has already tried that out.

I will post an update after I have tried it.

This works well. The partitioned library is appearing in the VLS.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Good to hear.

Can you tell us what model VLS and backup application you are using? I would like to get a configuration with the VLS and a partitioned MSL into our normal qualification cycles. We might as well consider using a configuration that we know is a real customer configuration.

The only thing I can think of to watch out for is that the VLS automigration works best with a mailslot enabled and when the library is partitioned both applications share the mailslot. During export only the partition that performed the export can use the mailslot but during import it is up to the user to use the console for the correct application and import the tapes from the mailslot into the normal storage slots.

We, in this case, have MSL8096 with 4 LTO4 drives with two NSRs. Two drives connected to one NSR have been used for VLS SmartCopy. The Library has been partitioned into two. And we are using Data Protector 6.1.

I have attached a screenshot from the VLS automigration screen.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Are you running a multi-node VLS 9000 or Gateway? Or is this a VLS 6000?

We have a VLS6636. I am sorry I missed it.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Thanks - I will get the config into the regular test matrix.