StoreOnce Backup Storage
1751713 Members
5066 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems with VLS6600

Problems with VLS6600

Hi,
I have been having some type of hardware problem? with my VLS6600 for the past month. I generated so many support tickets from my VLS that I lost count.

In any case, I have seven MSA 20's with 750GB SATA drives fully populated. One of my MSA 20's have a amber light in the back under the triangle with an exclamation mark. When I reboot the storage and the VLS, the amber light is gone until my backup kicks in. The amber light doesn't turn on immediately. It usually shows up sometime during the middle of a backup job.

In addition, my VLS notification logs show problems:
ControllerInfo (ServerName > Disk Array 127.0.0.1 > Controller 0 > ControllerInfo )

ControllerInfo (ServerName > Disk Array 127.0.0.1 > Controller 1 > ControllerInfo )

ControllerInfo (ServerName > Disk Array 127.0.0.1 > Controller 2 > ControllerInfo )

ControllerInfo (ServerName > Disk Array 127.0.0.1 > Controller 3 > ControllerInfo )

I have HP technicians come on site to swap out almost every possible part such as batteries, controller, and cables.

The software version for the VLS is 2.3.0.

If anyone has any ideas as to what the problem may be, I would appreciate it if you could suggest it. The support person I'm working with is level 2 and he said he is escalating this to engineering level. But I can't keep waiting as it's been a month since this problem has occurred with no resolution.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Tape Backup (Small and Medium Business) to Disk-Based Backup. - Hp forum moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Re: Problems with VLS6600

Hi,

I have attached the rear pic of the MSA 20. Can you mark the area on that where you see the Amber light.

Regards,
Sunny

Hi,
I have marked the image with a red circle as to where I am getting the amber light.
Please see attachment.
Thanks!
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Hi,

This is the Enclosure fault LED ├в Glows amber when any other LED in the enclosure is amber, if the GSI is functional.

Now this shows that there is fault a fault but nothing specific.

What is the status of the VLS. Are there issues with the backups?

Are there any other amber LED's on the MSA 20, drives, EMU etc?

What all components have been changed by HP??

Regards,
Sunny

Hi WickedSunny,

Sorry for the late reply. I was busy working with the HP engineers that came on site to look at the VLS6600.
I can't name all the parts that were replaced. But they started on the VLS6600 node itself. I know they replaced the controller card, battery, and numerous other things. The error would repeatedly come back and they started working towards the MSA 20 enclosure. After replacing the battery, cable, and cache, it was still not fixed.

I believed the last two parts replaced on the MSA 20 are the midplane and the power supply.

I'm not exactly sure which of the last two parts fixed the problem. But everything seems to be working fine for the past week.

Thanks for your help!
Wickedsunny
Valued Contributor

Hey,

Great to know this was fixed. This could have not been an issue with the VLS Node. This is a MSA 20 issue. Most probably with the error sensors. Have not faced this before, but I am sure that this is either the PSU which is not able to send the signals about its health condition.. Or the Sensor sniffers on the Mid-Plane which is not pickin these signals.

I dont know why they targeted this area after so much of part replacement. Good to know that this was fixed.

Regards,
Sunny