StoreOnce Backup Storage
1753511 Members
4934 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Recovery of StoreOnce VSA data-disk to new VSA?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mikael Kolbe
Visitor

Recovery of StoreOnce VSA data-disk to new VSA?

During investigation about how to get the most efficiency out of our backup-storage, and provide a flexible interface to it from our different backup-applications (MS DPM and Veeam), we have come across HP StoreOnce VSA.

We have established a test-setup, based on the free 1TB-license, with deployment of the VSA into our HyperV-environment. Here we are testing different setups around the StoreOnce, before jumping into buying those bigger TB-licenses, and it is all looking very promising.

However, while testing for failure or disaster-recovery of the StoreOnce-VSA itself, I haven't been able to find a way to re-attach an existing data-disk to a new (re)deployed VSA.
So... can anyone help me to come to a clear understanding, if it is possible to re-attach a previousl StoreOnce-VSA datadisk onto another VSA to regain access to the stored data?
And is it possible to export the configuration of the original VSA, and import it into a new VSA, in case of defect of the original one?

If not possible, of course we can always utilize backup-routines of the StoreOnce-VSA's themselfes, but here we would have to secure backup thru alternative backup/storage-systems, independent of the StoreOnce-VSA's...
So it will be preferred if it is possible to re-attach data-disks onto new VSA's.

Best regards,
Mikael K.

3 REPLIES 3
CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

Re: Recovery of StoreOnce VSA data-disk to new VSA?

I don't know the answer to your question but asked a few people I know on the StoreOnce team if they can get me an answer.  Stay tuned....

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger
Solution

I think your post boiled down to two questions:

1. Can a data disk from one VSA be attached to a different VSA?
    Attaching an existing data disk to a new StoreOnce VSA is not possible with current StoreOnce VSA product. This feature under investigation for the next generation StoreOnce VSA.
  2. Can a VSA config be exported and applied to a new VSA?
    In the current StoreOnce VSA the save/restore config option is not supported. This is under investigation for the next generation StoreOnce VSA.

So the answer to both those questions are that you can't do it today but it is being investigated by the product management team. 

Mikael Kolbe
Visitor

Thank you for clearing this for me.
I will then take extra precautions to protect the individual StoreOnce VSA's with standalone backup-methods.

Am looking forward to the enhanced possibilities in the future versions  :)

Best regards,

Mikael K