1751887 Members
5257 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

StoreOnce Enterprise Manager installation failure

Samir_Abrahao
Occasional Contributor

StoreOnce Enterprise Manager installation failure

I am unsure wether this is the correct forum section to post on this subject, but since I couldn't find a more suitable one, here it goes...

I've been trying to install the trial version of the StoreOnce Enterprise Manager software on a test environment, due to recomendations on deployment of StoreOnce VSA by HP, and I'm encountering an error which prevents me from completing the installation sucessfully.

The error message seems to be related to user privileges.

So far I have disabled  UAC, given full administrative privileges to the "TrustedInstaller" user group on the installation directory (which is used by the msi installer to access directories and registry keys), and changed the default installation directory, to no effect.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bits.

Can anyone help me?

P.S. This thread ahs been moved from Data Protector Support and News Forum to Disk-Based Backup. - Hp forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
KasparsB
Trusted Contributor

Re: StoreOnce Enterprise Manager installation failure

Hi, 

I have not used it and have no experience with it.

Have you tried installing it with "Run as administrator"? It is sometimes needed even when you are in administrator group.

Samir_Abrahao
Occasional Contributor

KasparsB, thank you for your reply.

In fact, since the installer is an MSI, there is no way to run the executable as administrator since the MSI package itself only extracts the installation files and runs the setup automatically, without giving me the option to change security parameters. I gave full read/write permissions to the user who accesses the file system (trustedinstaller).

devenmt

User who is a member of "Administrators" group can install SEM. To avoid any security issues related wtih installtion, right click on setup file and select " run as administrator".  Microsoft recommends to install package in non-System protected folder (atleast files which are constantly being changed should not be a part of System protected folder i.e. Programe Files )

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

same here. I'm unable to install SEM 1.0.1 and 1.0.3 on Windows 8.1 Enterprise (x64, german) and Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (german). The installation fails with the same error (Setup could not provide access privileges to...).

I've tried to install it with "run as..." and with disabled UAC: Same result.

Any hints how can I solve this?

Best regards,
Patrick
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hi everybody,

I was able to develop a workaround. It seems that the error is caused by a hardcoded group name in the installation script of the PostgreSQL DB.

Check my blog: HP StoreOnce Enterprise Manager v1.3 installation fails on non-English OS

Best regards,
Patrick