1745791 Members
3834 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

StoreOnce Hostname change

Luis_Feigenbl
Occasional Visitor

StoreOnce Hostname change

How to change the hostname, if possible, on a StoreOne 5500 with firmware 3.16.3

6 REPLIES 6
NeilFlemingHPE
Advisor

Re: StoreOnce Hostname change

Hi Luis,

First apologies someone hasn't replied to this before now and that you are having trouble.

It is possible to change the host name. You can find the instructions to do so on page 78 of the user manual for the 5500 and the manual is located here: http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c05063428-1.pdf

This should mean your appliance has a 'friendly' name when it appears in things such as the replication wizard or AD.

Incidentally, I don't like where that setting is and can understand you struggled to find it. Let me take it up with the engineers and see if we can't improve where the appliance settings are in a future code release.

Thanks for using the forum and for purchasing StoreOnce

Neil Fleming, Team Manager, StoreOnce and Recovery Manager Central Product Management

Bristol-storage
Occasional Visitor

Sorry Neil but this information is incorrect. It is not possible to change the hostname of any current StoreOnce appliance.  Hostnames are of the form HP<<applicance serial number>> and are fixed. The manual reference in the previous post is purely concerned with the replication subsystem. In future products HPE Storage does plan to provide a hostname which can be customised.

Rothery Harris

HPE Storage Technical Marketing, Bristol, UK

winndm

I'm on a 3540 and can't seem to make this work, so I guess the change is not yet implemented?

The device has an HPE generated name:  HPCZAAAAAAAA

In NAS, CIFS Server, we are joined to an AD domain.

This creates a computer account HPCZAAAAAAA.

I leave the domain, and by your direction on page 78, go to Store Once, Replication, Local Settings, General Settings, and change the Appliance Name to MY-APPL-01 and save.  Noted beside this field is a specific instruction:  Enter a descriptive name such as the geographic location of appliance.  Does not affect Network Name).

Go back up to NAS, CIFS Server, and join AD again.

No new computer account is created with the name MY-APPL-01

How can I join this device to Active Directory with the name MY-APPL-01.mydomain.com

SWalker804
Occasional Visitor

This is crazy!  Why would HP not think we would want to change the hostname?  Who wants to keep up with a bunch of devices named HP<s/n>?

MrAdams1101

Has this issue been resolved yet?

M00dY_Blanket
Occasional Visitor

Sad to say but even on the lastest HPE StoreOnce 3.18.20-2120.1 you still can NOT rename the StoreOnce system.  I'm not sure what century HPE is operating in when you can not rename your device name.  Given how slowly they are to fixing this issue they must be using the Name for other purposes within the software that it can not be easily resolved.