New Discussion

StoreOnce error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Johnc_3
Trusted Contributor

StoreOnce error

Hi,

My StoreOnce 4700 device used as for several Catalyst stores has failed.  Several (but not all) of the stores are showing as "Failed to start" and so Data Protector backups are obviously failing.  Restarting the device has no beneficial effect.

The failed stores show a completely incorrect dedupe ratio of several million to one!

The event log shows a last error of, "[ssid1]: D2DManager process state has changed: Warning to Critical (SMM, ObjectStore)".

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

P.S. This thread has been moved from Data Protector Support and News Forum to Disk-Based Backup. - Hp Forum Moderator

------------------
Kudos gratefully accepted - How to assign...
4 REPLIES 4
Bob_Clark
Honored Contributor

Re: StoreOnce error

This error may be caused by previous errors encountered when wrting to StoreOnce stores

This error happens because HK fails to process one of the jobs for the store in question

Jobs are located at:
S:\StoreOnce\StoreOncelibrary\dvol_00000004\committed\storemgr\store.d\store_04\retired
Where 04 can be replaced by all volumes (24 all together)

Please stop the SOS (StoreOnce Software) service and check the mentioned folders.
Depending on the number of subfolders in retired folder please do the following:
  • If only a couple of folders, then delete them and restart the service.
This should start also the store in question

If the problem persists, open a case with tehe response center.  To help things along enable StoreOnce tracing

from the command prompt on the StoreOnce agent

cd \Program Files\Omniback\bin

sc stop Storeoncesoftware

sc start Storeoncesoftware -–log_level=tracing

If the Store still refused to start, disable StoreOnce tracing

from the command prompt on the StoreOnce agent

cd \Program Files\Omniback\bin

sc stop Storeoncesoftware

sc start Storeoncesoftware -–log_level=none

IN the folder on the StoreOnce media agent

Program Data -> Omniback -> tmp

look for long filenames that contain 'storeoncesoftwareCore' as part fo the filename

Johnc_3
Trusted Contributor

Hi Bob,

I think you may have missed the fact that it's a StoreOnce 4700 appliance and not a software dedupe store.....

Thanks,

John

------------------
AlesKol
Valued Contributor

Hi,

This problem  is device specific.

You should ask the same question in different forum - hardware (not software).

Regards

Johnc_3
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The problem was caused by an issue with the StoreOnce software on the 4700 appliance.

If each StoreOnce 'segment' becomes over 70% full then it can cause the Catalyst stores to fail.  This is an example of poor design by HP.  In addition, access to the operating system of the StoreOnce appliance is only limited to HP Support engineers.  Why is this?  They are not the only people with Ibrix knowledge.

See: http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Technical-Support-Services-Blog/DPTIPS-StoreOnce-3-11-4-software-release-addresses-Shellshock/ba-p/173368#.VLEXsaLHzDc for details.

Once I'd got through the pain of the first-line support, I worked with an online Mission Critical engineer (who was very good BTW) who told me to delete a lot of backup data to get the stores back online.  Luckily I had an extra disk tray of 24TB to add to the device to give me the extra space to fix the problem.  Otherwise I would have had to delete many TB of backups.  Most people would not have this luxury.

I then upgraded to v3.11.4 (from v3.9.4) to get rid of the problem.

So there you go.

John

------------------