1752290 Members
5572 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VLS 6109 virtual drive inaccessible

Benjamin Wold
Frequent Advisor

VLS 6109 virtual drive inaccessible

I have a VLS 6109 setup to emulate an MSL6030 with 2 drives. Software version 1.0.12. Backup software is DP5.5. I downloaded and installed all patches for DP last week and my problem still exists.
Every week, if any backup job hangs, the virtual tape drive will become inaccessible. I can kill and restart all of the backup agents involved or just reboot the servers and it's still inaccessible. It will only come back to normal if I restart the VLS. Any ideas on resolving this issue?
6 REPLIES 6
marius402
Valued Contributor

Re: VLS 6109 virtual drive inaccessible

Benjamin,

I have seen the same problem with the VLS6109. It seems to be a problem on the firmware of the VLS. Every so often the VLS drives will just stop responding although it stills seems to be active. At first I thought it was DP6 but after happening a few times I am now sure this is the VLS playing up. I have a FC MSL5026 connected to the same SAN that does not mess around, so the problem is definitely the VLS

I recommended to my client to hard reboot the VLS server as often as required (You can do this with remote session using Putty). Seems like we will have to wait until HP releases a service pack for this

Cheers

Marius
Rob O'Reilly
Advisor

Make sure the VLS is updated with the latest firmware for all components.

VLS software version should be a v1.0.13
MSA20 firmware should be at 1.52
Smart Array 6400 should be at 2.68

Thanks,
Rob O.
Benjamin Wold
Frequent Advisor

Have you seen the firmware updates solve this issue?
Benjamin Wold
Frequent Advisor

marius,
I have an MSL6030 on the same fabric that does not exhibit the same issue.
Rob O'Reilly
Advisor

Without reviewing logs all we can do is speculate about what the problem could be.

There have been issues with older MSA20 firmware which can exhibit hang conditions more frequently.

The best course of action is to upgrade all the components I listed previously and if that does not correct the problem then you should open a case with HP for additional assistance.

Thanks,
Rob O.
Benjamin Wold
Frequent Advisor

OK gents,
Thanks for the input. I'll proceed with the firmware update and go from there.