New Discussion юеВ

Re: 12H autoraid array space management

SOLVED
Go to solution
jane zhang
Regular Advisor

12H autoraid array space management

HI all,

we replaced several 9GB disk drive with 36GB ones and now gain a lot of unallocated space. we decided to delete 7 LUNS ( total 8) and recrated LUNS with more space.

My question is if we create 5 lUNS now, would vgcfgrestore work? ( we already did vgcfgbacku)

All the original 7 LUNS go to /dev/vg02 which span about 14 logical drives from the original setup. Is it possible to let it span few?

Thanks.

# vgexport -v -m vg02map /dev/vg02
Beginning the export process on Volume Group "/dev/vg02".
/dev/dsk/c3t1d0
/dev/dsk/c3t1d1
/dev/dsk/c3t1d2
/dev/dsk/c3t1d3
/dev/dsk/c3t1d4
/dev/dsk/c3t1d5
/dev/dsk/c3t1d7
/dev/dsk/c4t0d0
/dev/dsk/c4t0d1
/dev/dsk/c4t0d2
/dev/dsk/c4t0d3
/dev/dsk/c4t0d4
/dev/dsk/c4t0d5
/dev/dsk/c4t0d7
Volume group "/dev/vg02" has been successfully removed.
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The intention of vgcfgrestore is to recreate exactly the previous configuration -- meaning the same sized PV's (LUN's in this case). You have increased the size of the LUN's so the extra space would go unused with your approach. Moreover, vgcfgbackup and vgcfgrestore only concern's itself with LVM data. The actual data stored on the underlying PV's is not restored.

I hope you backed up everything beforehand because you only option is a restore of the data after build your new VG's and filesystems.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
jane zhang
Regular Advisor

Hi,

If this is the case, we need to do the pvcreate and vgcreate from the start. However, after recreating new LUNs,
ioscan -fnC disk show some problem NO_HW

disk 19 1/12/0/0.0.7 sdisk NO_HW DEVICE HP C5447A
/dev/dsk/c4t0d7 /dev/rdsk/c4t0d7

Jane
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

That's actually okay. Before you had LUN's 0-7 but now you have, I assume, only LUN's 0-4 (since you said you created 5 LUN's). LUN's 6 and 7 no longer exist. If this really bothers you, use rmsf -H HW_path.

By the way, you could probably do just as well with only 2 equally sized LUN's (One with primary path through controller X and the other with primary path through controller Y. You then stripe each LVOL in your VG across both LUN's in 64k chunks. This will fully utilize both external SCSI paths and all four internal SCSI paths.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
jane zhang
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

we just reboot the server and those went away. We then did pvcreate on each one and then lvcreate, newfs. everything went well.

Regards,

Jane