5931 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 159313 HDD cage needs power & I need pinout

RicJohnson
Advisor

159313 HDD cage needs power & I need pinout

Hi:

I own several 159313 drive cages with SCSI3 backplane 141282-001. The backplane has a 6-pin power connector.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any manual or similar info for the cages here at HP which contain/describe technical specifications.

I am trying to migrate some of those to other systems.( In particular a HP Visulalize & another AMD based system. ) Since I cannot migrate the power backplane from the Compaq ML530 I need to supply power directly to the cage's backplane.

The 6-pin connector appears similar to the PCI-Express 6-pin connector.
** Are the pinouts the same?

( I.e., is it safe & smart to use a PCIe power connector to supply the 6 drives with 5V & 12V supplies? )

I really do not want to fry the backplanes or my PSU, so, somebody, please help.

Thanks.

Xeyed-from-looking
8 REPLIES 8
RicJohnson
Advisor

I found that the SCSI backplane is Part# 263035-001 even though 141282-001 is what is printed on the backplane cover(perhaps that is just the cover part number...).

A PCI-Express 6-pin connector fits & locks onto the SCSI backplane 6-pin power connector.

Is it the same pinout?

Alternatively, is there a HP power cable adapter that I can purchase?

I.e., is there an adapter that uses a couple of 4-pin molex to a 6-pin that HP has and uses the correct pinout?
RicJohnson
Advisor

The cables needed are the ones used to connect to the 159314-001 3-Bay SCSI Power Backplane Board ( http://h30125.www3.hp.com/csnOther/SPICatalog/photos/159314-001.jpg )
The 6pin to 6pin connector power cables are needed.

What is the part number for the cable?
RicJohnson
Advisor

Hi:
It appears that my only chance of recycling the HDD cages is to make my own power cable.

Could someone just look at the G2 Power backplane or the back of the HDD cage and count the wires that go into the 6-pin connector and provide that info to me, please?

I tested the SCA-2 connector with the 6-pin connector and there are no direct connections for two(2) of the pins on the 6-pin connector. However, those two have some connection through device(s) with the 5V rail/line so it is possible that there are wires there and they perform some function unrelated to supplying power.

I suspect that there are only four wires on that 6-pin connector but need confirmation before I hack a cable here.

Ric
RicJohnson
Advisor

Thanks to nobody at HP/Compaq I found that there are 6 wires. One 12V power, two grounds, one 5V power and two 5V signals.
. TOP .
GND .. 5vS
GND .. 5vS
12V .. 5V

A lot of effort just to recycle a perfectly good product to keep from throwing it away.

... and people wonder why landfills are full.

Goodbye.
LsuEdu
Regular Advisor

Good bye?

I was enjoying reading your essay.
The value of your life can only be judged by the good you do for other folks.
Jorge Ayestaran

Hi,
I'm trying to do the same, integrate a pulled-out ML SCSI cage & 6 drives (before trashing it; stupid corp. policy) into my home WS.
My reasoning was same a yours, if it seems a PCI-E, how could someone not pin it as a PCI-E? Fortunately my PSU was smarter and would not start, apparently w/o frying anything
Could you please elaborate the pinout you found?
. TOP .
GND .. 5vS
GND .. 5vS
12V .. 5V
Were you successful? Did you just leave the 5vS unconnected, or feed them 5V?
Thanks

Jorge
Nestech

I got this to work on the first try following his diagram.
GND .. 5vS
GND .. 5vS
12V .. 5V

looking at the connection from the power supply from the server.

top row (both black) splice into one of the ground connectors on the molex
middle row (both black) splice into the other ground on the molex
the bottom row is one red and one orange wire. splice the orange wire (12v) to the yellow on the molex and the red (5v) to the red wire on the molex.

worked on the first try and still running strong. ive been trying out difference raid configs and having fun =)
Ross Sutherland

Hi
The pinouts you have given seem to be correct, however, in my cage the drives do not spin up although the green light comes on.
I was wondering if you could tell me what scsi card you are using as I have a terrible feeling that only the onboard card is capable of initialising the drives.

I've tried an Adaptec 29160.

Thanks for any help.