1752301 Members
5294 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2.5" bracket which will fit 3.5" SAS caddy

beovax
Advisor

2.5" bracket which will fit 3.5" SAS caddy

Bit of a strange one. I am trying to fit a 2.5" SSD drive into a HP 3.5" caddy so that the connectors at the back of the drive still allign with the backplane.

There seems to be limited manufactures producing 3.5" SSD drives within my budget (cant afford HP branded drives) I have purchased an empty 3.5" SAS/SATA caddy and the plan is to fit a 2.5" drive

anyone else done this before?
2 REPLIES 2
Richard Busch

Re: 2.5" bracket which will fit 3.5" SAS caddy

Hey Beovax, I am hoping you keep watch over this forum or subscribe to replies for this topic... I have just tried this very action and are not getting results for some very odd reason. I happen to have a few 2.5" SAS drives which are bigger and the big reason, quieter than my very very loud 15k 3.5" 72g drives for a ML310 G4 that will be in a occupied area so the massively loud resonance the 15k's put out is not an option. I actually perfectly lined up the 2.5"'s in the 3.5"'s caddy and mounted securely in place; however when attached and locked in place the controller will not spin them up or recognize them. I have confirmed a good seat to the backplane, as the interface copper on the drives has trace marks on each pin (They were brand-new). These even are HP SAS 2.5" that are identical for interface to the 3.5"'s. (I do know when it comes to HP SAS/SCSI, it is important to use HP branded drives due to some of their proprietary algorithms contained in the firmware, whereas of course SATA does not share that dependency)

You figure out anything back on this since March? I├в m assuming SAS 2.5├в is not an option on a 3.5├в hot swap backplane for some very odd reason, but would love to know for sure.
beovax
Advisor

Re: 2.5" bracket which will fit 3.5" SAS caddy

Hi Richard,

I forgot I actually posted this question. The SSD drive connected fine and was seen by the raid controller.

One big problem though SSD performance was shocking. I put this down to the fact the SSD drives use a large internal cache and without it write speeds are shocking.

You can enable write cache on the drives with HP controllers but its all drives or nothing. In the end I connected the drive to an internal SATA conenction on the motherboard.