cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 LUNs with the same name on fc60

breno sobral
Occasional Contributor

2 LUNs with the same name on fc60

I have 2 LUNs with the same name "0" and different Segment size (0 and 16). How I remove this LUN 0 (1:12 2:12 3:12 4:12) of Segment 0 KB?

Disk Group 0943EA00083DDA817B:
Disk Group Type = LUN
Number of LUNs = 1
LUN(s) = 2
Remaining Capacity = 0.0 MB
RAID Level = 5
Segment Size = 16 KB
Disks:
1:1 2:1 3:1 4:1
Disk Group 0943EA000A3DDAA99C:
Disk Group Type = LUN
Number of LUNs = 1
LUN(s) = 0
RAID Level = 5
Segment Size = 16 KB
Disks:
1:0 2:0 3:0 4:0
Disk Group 0943EA000640DC8516:
Disk Group Type = LUN
Number of LUNs = 1
LUN(s) = 0
RAID Level = 5
Segment Size = 0 KB
Disks:
1:12 2:12 3:12 4:12

thanks.........
1 REPLY
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Re: 2 LUNs with the same name on fc60

Breno: this looks odd, as you say. Normally, LUN0 on the FC60 is a special "zero size" LUN, simply a construct that the controllers need to be in existance to send commands on through to to the unbound drives, etc.

Once you create your first real LUN, we were told that you could delete the initial control LUN (LUN0), since any LUN can be used for the command pass-through function... but most people seem to just leave it there. One idea seems to be that you may need it if you ever wipe the rest of the LUNs off the FC60, etc.

So, the zero-size LUN at the bottom of the display output you included above is probably just the initial command LUN, no reason to remove it, really. You can't use it for anything, and the only thing it does that is even mildly annoying is force you to start your other LUNs from some number greater than zero, or so I thought.

I don't know how to explain your output, or how come you have two LUN0s. I always heard that, once you had a LUN1, you could delete the zero-size LUN0, after which you could bind up your next LUN as LUN0 (since the name had been freed up. I never bothered to do so, and never tried to create a LUN with the same number as an existing LUN, so... I'm not sure what happens, or if it is really a problem.

Are you just doing some housekeeping, or is this actually causing you a problem? If no problems, just ignore this non-issue.

Regards, --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)