1752793 Members
6016 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 ds2405 connecting to K370 issue

yongquan zhang
Occasional Contributor

2 ds2405 connecting to K370 issue

I have one ds2405 connecting to k370 through the unique fibre channel interface. It's running OK with 14 disks configured. when I like to connect an additional ds2405 (which has 6 new disks) just with the same interface card, I could find the connection is OK by command ioscan as well as SAM. but when I begin to configure the first new disk, the first commnand "pvcreate -f /dev/..." is hanging on, I could not even kill the process.
then I try to directly use SAM to configure the second new disk, it successfully build up a new VG using the second one. Unfortunately, I failed to do the same work with the other disks even after rebooting the server.

could any body share me your idea? thanks in advance.

yongquan
7 REPLIES 7
yongquan zhang
Occasional Contributor

more information about the issue:

when I use "diskinfo" to check the 6 disks, i find the successfully configured disk's "byte per sector" is 512, the other 5 disks are all 520.

could I use mediainit to format the disks? if yes, which option should I use?

thanks,
yongquan
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

mediainit command:

# mediainit -v /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX

Stf ;-)
yongquan zhang
Occasional Contributor

thanks for your instant reply but still failed unfortunately.

someone suggest me to install the disk into VA7100 and use commandview command: JBODfmt which we can change 520 to 512byte per sector.

I like to know if it's true.

yongquan
Bill Rothanburg
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

If the disk is formated to 520 byte sectors, then it was reformatted by a VA disk array.

If you are running HP-UX 11.0 or 11i on your K370, then you can install commandview SDM and attempt to use the jbodfmt utility to reformat the disk.

Bill
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

I'm guessing that these disks were used and purchased through a used equipmnet broker. If these were purchased through HP, you should be able to place a call to HP and have them rectify the situation through the warranty.

go here to download CommandView:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

select "download drivers and software"
enter "VA7100" in the product field
click the arrow/hit enter
select the appropriate VA7100 product (either will work fine if you don't know which one)
select your operating system (HP-UX 11.x)
click the download button next to the product you want (make sure you have the right version of HP-UX, 11.00 or 11.11(11iv1))
the download should begin, and it will be a depot file that you can register and install as any other SW depot on HP-UX.

Josh
What are the chances...
yongquan zhang
Occasional Contributor

thanks all. It's OK now by your suggestions.
RNY
Respected Contributor

Could please tell me, how your problem was resolved because im facing the same.

Thank you