1748060 Members
5840 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3200 2DH problem

Thomas Jubb
Frequent Advisor

3200 2DH problem

Upon bootup the array card never initializes and eventually times out to the following error "1783 Slot 5 Array Controller Failure, command failure cmd=11h, err 020h"
I had a engineer look at our Proliant 1600 last week and he encounterd the same problem but he simply removed the board and reinstalled it into the slot and it booted up fine. I had asked him if this was the start of a hardware failure and he opted on the side of it not being a hardware failure in the future. I think he was wrong!

My main question is will this screw up the raid config and require me to rebuild the server from backup or and I simply replace the bad card with a new one? AND...will a 2SL card work for the time being from an old unused server?

Thanks so much!

Tom
5 REPLIES 5
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Replacing the card appears as the 5 item in this trouble shooting procedure:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xa75b174fc9ddd61190050090279cd0f9,00.html

Related outage:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xb9870627c8ddd61190050090279cd0f9,00.html
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
e4services
Honored Contributor

Tom,
I, too, do not see this as a hardware "failure", perminent I am implying from your words. We see this sometimes do to enironmental conditions and/or the card not being seated well from the start. We also see with removable Firmware chips. In rare occations contact of a pin is disrupted, oxidation or bad mechanicals, who knows, but it can happen. So I would not be to concerned unless it happens again.
As for replacement, you will loose your RAID configuration when the card is replaced, but as long as you have not disturbed the physical drive positions AND you select them in the same order as they exist currently (so make a note of it) them everything should come up flying without having to restore.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Thomas Jubb
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies guys! I didn't have time to try some of the tips but I now have a replacement drive delivered from our network consulting firm. The array card was under warranty so that was nice and I now have a server back online! No raid configuration was necessary and it came back online ok. Although my Groupwise is now abending frequently! If it's not one thing it's another!

Thanks!
Adrian Hall_2
Occasional Advisor

Ho hum. I seem to have the same problem on an old Proliant 1600 that I acquired. The SmartArray 3200 controller is failing to initialise on startup with the same error as above.

Tried all the reseating options - it can see the card is in a particular slot, just can't initialise it. The machine has been standing unused for a long time (6 months) but was fine before that.

Any suggestions?

(Can't afford to buy a new controller. )
I'm an away team member in a red shirt
Adrian Hall_2
Occasional Advisor

Oh - BTW - is there a user manual for this beastie anywhere out there? It might help me.

I'm an away team member in a red shirt