cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/256 SAN director and NetApp 840 filer

Martin Janiczek
Occasional Visitor

4/256 SAN director and NetApp 840 filer

We just connected to a new Fiber Channel switch (HP-4/256 director with 128 ports). All the devices connected up to the new switch except for our NetApp F840. Newer NetApp filers connect to the switch just fine and we see everything that we should. The switch sees the F840 and the correct speed is negotiated, except we cannot see the tape devices (ADIC I500 FC). In the log of the F840, we get the message:

Fri Oct 31 10:16:29 CDT [fci.fabric.max.ports:error]: Switch with WWN 100000051e3631ae on Fibre Channel adapter 8a exceeded the maximum number of ports supported: Maximum ports supported is 256 and this switch has 384 ports.

(The switch only has 128 ports installed). Is this causing us not to see the tape devices or is it just informational. The ports on both devices (switch and F840) appear to be enabled. I clear counters on the switch and the only traffic I see after that is when I disconnect the cable from one of the devices and they try to connect up. Otherwise there is no other traffic. Has the F840 shutdown its port? How can I get around this. Why is the SAN Director reporting 384 ports???? HELP.

One additional thing, We also installed an I/O blade in the I500 tape library, so all the WWNs changed. So the filer had the old WWNs but will not get the new ones. The switch is new. We were on an old 16 port Brocade and functioning fine. So everything was working in a similar setup.

Marty
3 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: 4/256 SAN director and NetApp 840 filer

There are too many different problems here. Lets take them one at a time and get some more details.

You did not mention anything about zoning. Do you have setup zoning? It also looks like you have a single switch, single fabric setup to support a dual disk and tape SAN environment. That and no zoning is probably the cause of your problems. You should have bought probably 3 smaller switches. Normally you set up 2 switches for disk arrays and one for tape.

> we cannot see the tape devices (ADIC I500 FC).
From what server?
>Maximum ports supported is 256 and this switch has 384 ports.
There is probably a check in the F840 and it sees the director model string and it knows taht the director is capable of 384 ports. You need to call netapp for this, they will probably ask for a FW upgrade if at all they still support the F840.
janiczekm
Occasional Visitor

Yes, we have zoning setup on the FC switch. The zone consists of a Veritas Netbackup Server, The I500 tape library, and five NetApp filers. Everything works just fine except for the one NetApp F840. It is the only device giving the errors mentioned above. That is why it is puzzling. All these devices worked fine on an old 16 port Brocade that they were migrated from to the 4/256 SAN Director.
Stephen Doud
Honored Contributor

Since the NetApp 840 is not mentioned in this website, http://www.hp.com/products1/serverconnectivity/mass_storage_devices#NetAppsFC, and you did not mention Serviceguard in your message, I will relocate this query to the Storage area of the forum.