1752347 Members
5815 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 431 W2k Logical Drive extension

Tim_216

431 W2k Logical Drive extension

HI
I have the following issue due to space issues I have replaced 4x 18gb drives with 4x72gb drives in my raid 5 array on a 431 (f/w v1.22) controller. All went ok and I can see the unused space through the ACU.
If I go to expand the logical drive using array manager 2.90b in windows. I get a big yellow stop that says Windows 2000 does not support it.

I have checked the forums and seem to get different views on what I can do?
I am running basic disks and windows 2000 SP4.

I dont want to rebuild the array or restore from backup as this negates the ability to do drive expansion! (I have taken backups though as a precaution)

So how do I do this?

1. do it anyway and hope it works!
2. Does this mean an issue with 128gb barrier?
2. create a new logical drive - pain but would work
3. delete and rebuild array - Not an option.
4. use 3rd party tool such as partition manager

Any help and real world examples would be outstanding as I seem to be going around in circles :o(

Regards

Tim

4 REPLIES 4
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Tim,

extending the logical disk on the array will not automatically make the partition on it any bigger. You will see unused space at the end of the disk under Windows 2000. I am aware of the following choices to make that partition larger:

- your 3rd. partition manager

- I have been told that there is an unsupported utility named 'parted'(sp?) in a Microsoft resource kit

- HP sells a piece of software named 'HP OpenView Storage Volume Growth' (great name, eh?). It claims to work "without disrupting the users applications or access to data". I have no experience with it, but you can find more information at the following URL:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/svg/index.html

In any case, please let us know about your experience!
Tim_216

Hmm all sound scary!

The HP option looks good but money is a issue. (as always)

I will take a look at the microsoft one.

So what we are actully saying is that the extend logical drive does nothing except cause data loss in w2k!

hmm "must make note to have a word with Bill and Carly"

t
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Tim,

If I remember correctly, the message says that Windows 2000 versions below SP3 aren't supported. I've used ACU to extend logical drives on 2 different servers, though they use higher-end array controllers.

Check out this post for more info:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=409569

The tool Uwe mentions is called DISKPART, but I haven't seen any mention of it being unsupported by MS (unless they just do that with a blanket statement for Resource Kit utilities).

Also, there is a newer version of firmware for your controller, but you have to have SmartStart 6 or later to apply it. HP seems to be doing strange things with their new controller firmware releases...

Regards,
Seth
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Tim,

Here's another thread that might help you:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=482207

Regards,
Seth