Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

72GB Disks - 144Gb Disks

john_347
Regular Advisor

72GB Disks - 144Gb Disks

Hi All

Problem is this, 2x Notes servers (ml530) running 72 GB Drives with a 5300 & 3200 smart array controllers. Drives are failing like one a week on the 3200 array controller. Boss getting very annoyed.

Have run HDserial software, disks come clean.

Can any one tell me if there are problems with 3200 (firmware 4.32) & 72 GB disks?? He wants to replace them all with 144 Gb disks, anyone know if there are any problems with these. ??

Any help would assist

TA All

jc
4 REPLIES
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Re: 72GB Disks - 144Gb Disks

John:

You don't mention which OS you are running but for e.g. Windows 2003 there is a leter firmware,
Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - Compaq Smart Array 3x00 Controller
» 4.50 B
13 Sep 02

Available @
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/family/model/1269.html?submit.y=9&submit.x=9〈=en&cc=us
#

HTH

Philli
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
john_347
Regular Advisor

Hi Phillip

Sorry, its W2k server.. Our next task will be to update the firmware on the array & disks once the rebuild has finished.

regards

jc
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

John:

With 4000+ 1" universal drive SAN spindles installed in my SAN. After the Infant mortality, I am not seeing proportionally more 72GB drive failures than I am seeing the 146GB disks fail.

Now if they would just start shipping the 309's.... :-)

Mike
VMS SAN mechanic
e4services
Honored Contributor

jc
First, let's just say this, you should not be getting failures once a week. THe size of the disk should not effect the controller, if anything it could be power related. Which disks are you using? A more modern replacement like ours, which uses half the power, may be in order.
Hot Swap Hard Drives