Disk Enclosures
1748195 Members
2962 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A Special Question of Smart Array 5312.

George Hao

A Special Question of Smart Array 5312.

Our department used a ProLiant ML530 server as a Data Center.Today after we shut down the server by standard operating,we can't reboot it again!The 5312 did not find any hard drives.And all drives LED lightes showed they worked well.But after checked,we found out one hard drive was bad.This hitch is very strange! After we checked,the last good hard drives state were "fault".Now we want to use the last good hard drives to boot the server because the data in server is very important.How to change the last good hard drives state and online these drives?The server use five hard drives,one is bad,four are good.In fact all data should be well when only one drive was bad.The drives are 36GB 10K SCSI divers. Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
e4services
Honored Contributor

SOunds like a bad controller. The RAID configuration data is of course stored in both places, on the controller and on the drives. You can try and replace the controller and let it attempt to read the configuration of the drives to get back up. Or try clearing the existing controller and let it try and read the config from the drives again
Hot Swap Hard Drives
George Hao

Thanks for e4service.com's answer.But when i uninstall all the hard drives,the controller can work well.And it can get in configuration.Then i think the controller doesn't bad.When i insert the hard drives in turns i find a hard drive is bad.When it out of the array the machine looks like working well.
But now because this check process,the last four good hard drives state are "fault".I want to know how to let them "online" and reboot the ML530.
Because my first language doesn't english,so i think my description doesn't well:-)
Thanks for a lot.
George Hao

"The machine looks like well" means the smart array card can detect the last four hard drives but can't boot up.Because the hard drives state are "fault".Now i want to know how to change the hard drives state and "online" them?
Thank you.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Here is what the Smart Array User Manual says:
"Recovering from Compromised Fault Tolerance
If fault tolerance is compromised, inserting replacement drives does not improve the condition of the logical volume. Instead, if the screen displays unrecoverable error messages, perform the following procedure to recover data:
1. Power down the entire system, and then power it back up. In some cases, a marginal drive will work again for long enough to enable you to make copies of important files.
If a 1779 POST message is displayed, press the F2 key to re-enable the logical volumes. Remember that data loss has probably occurred and any data on the logical volume is suspect.
2. Make copies of important data, if possible.
3. Replace any failed drives.
4. After you have replaced the failed drives, fault tolerance may again be
compromised. If so, cycle the power again. If the 1779 POST message is displayed:
a. Press the F2 key to re-enable the logical drives.
b. Recreate the partitions.
c. Restore all data from backup.
To minimize the risk of data loss that is caused by compromised fault tolerance, make frequent backups of all logical volumes.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
George Hao

Thank you for your answer.But my ML530 haven't "F2" selection when it boot.Why?
e4services
Honored Contributor

Tell us how you are managing the hard drives and the controller? Are you using ACU? Can you enter the OCRA, BIOS setup for the RAID card?
Hot Swap Hard Drives