New Discussion юеВ

Re: A3312A compatibility

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ravinder Kaul
Advisor

A3312A compatibility

Hi

WE have a A3312A HASS . Is this HASS box compatible with Sun Sparc platform or is there a way to connect this HASS box to a SUN Sparc server running Solaris
Any input will be appreciated

Thanks and Rgds
5 REPLIES 5
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

The HASS is a generic SCSI enclosure that will work for anything, including SUN. Make sure you have the right HBA card for the server. The HASS can take either HVD or SE Drives, make sure the HBA Matches the drives you have.

see the bottom of this doc for the symbols for the different flavors of scsi:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/scsi/prot_Diff.htm

Josh
What are the chances...
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Ravinder,
If you have SE discs in your HASS unit then you need a Sun X6540A SE controller and if you have FWD discs then you need an X6541A controller
hope this helps
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

thanks malvin, I couldn't find the Sun PNs offhand. my sun box only has a FWD card, and no SE.

Josh
What are the chances...
Ravinder Kaul
Advisor

Thanks Joshua,Malvin for the replies

Can't the A3312A box be connected directly to the onboard external scsi port available on the server. I have a SUN Netra 1125 server or we need to add any driver for that

TAIA
RAvinder
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ravinder, I have looked in my Sun documentation for your Netra server and from what I can see, it looks like the output is possibly single ended, so you would need the single ended discs in your HASS. Ther would be no drivers, you would have to stop your boot with the "Stop+A" and do a "boot -r" to make your new devices, and then go in to "format" because the HP format is not the same as the Sun Format. The other thing to remember is the switch settings on the rear of the HASS unit. If you are single-ended you can only address a maximum of 7 devices and you have to make sure that you dont have matching addresses set.

cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar