108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: A5158A Clariion LUN question

SOLVED
Go to solution
VINCENT SPURGEON
Frequent Advisor

A5158A Clariion LUN question

While waiting on the EMC guy to show up to power on my new CLariion CX600, I was thinking about LUNS. Boring life, eh?

I have an N-Class (11.0 w/Sept 2001 patches, but installing the Mar 2003 soon) that will be connected to the Clariion via a Tachyon A5158A Fibre Channel card. The same N-Class is connected to a FC10 and a XioTech Magnitude as well. All fibre connections are with

I can see all 10 drives on the FC10 and I have been using them for over two years no problem. But with the XioTech, I can only see up to 8 LUNS (or VDISKS). LUN ID's presented by the XioTech to the HP cannot be greater than 7 or they are not recognized.

My question, will I be limited to 8 LUNS per fibre channel card with the Clariion or will it present all the LUNS I create like the FC10 does.

Thanks.
It's only a flesh wound...
8 REPLIES 8
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

No you will get all the LUN's that the clariion can see.

Have you worked what LUN sizing your going to have ? I suggest you don't make them too large, or you will loose your flexibility in LUN assignments to your volume groups. Suggest you get the latest A5158A driver from www.software.hp.com

"All fibre connections are with ..."
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Tom Geudens
Honored Contributor

Hi Vincent,
Michael is (as always :-) 100% correct. Make sure you've got the A6795A driver (which caters for the A5158A fibre card as well, don't worry ;-).

Also note that you'll initially only see 1 device (times the number of fibre connections you have to the ClarIIon) if you're going to use AccessLogix.

Regards,
Tom Geudens
A life ? Cool ! Where can I download one of those from ?
m_88

I understand this is a limitation of Xiotech when using HP HBAs. If using Emulex HBA you can see beyond 8 luns. How has your experience the the Xiotech been?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

HP-UX uses an addressing mode that is named 'VSA' - volume set addressing. Any other operating systems (as far as I am aware) use PDLA - peripherial device lun addressing. This is done deep in the command blocks.

Most storage arrays have a feature named 'host mode', 'operating system type', 'profile' or however it is named. This tells the storage array what operating system is at the other end so that it can respond correctly.

I don't know what an FC10 is - you could slam one over my head and I would not recognize it. If this is just a 'JBOD' or disk drive enclosure, then the answer is no. In a true JBOD each disk drive represents a separate SCSI target with one LUN. When you have a storage array each controller port is recognized as a SCSI target and the internal 'virtual' or 'logical' disks are mapped into this target's LUN address space.
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
I have used the same A51518A card with EMC Clarion 4700 earlier and i know if you have the latest Navisphere manager,client on HP-UX & proper fiber channel drivers & patches.you will definately see all the Luns.
Also any chance you are not able to get then i think there is configuration on HP-UX that the device can be selected in the agent.config file.
During my initial configurations i observed that if we make the device option in the agent.config as "auto" "auto"
then only we will get all the Luns otherwise we'll get only 7 Luns.

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
VINCENT SPURGEON
Frequent Advisor

I submitted this discussion a year ago and since then I've installed a cx600 connected to 2 n-class and 1-rp7410 servers. Each server has 6 fibre channel cards to two switches connected to the cx600. We are running Oracle 9i rac using a mix of raw and filesystems, hyperfabric (for cache fusion) and MC/ServiceGuard.

Also, we are using Powerpath to load balance across all the fibre channel cards.

There are twenty instances of oracle running ranging from a couple of gig to 100+ gig databases. Some are stand alone (one server) and others are shared across all three.

We wanted oracle to use raid-0 for the redo logs (since there is built-in software mirroring), archive logs to be on raid-1, and the data/raw files to be on raid-5. This required 3 seperate vg's for each disk/lun type. Then we created a mc/sg package to enable vg, mount fs, run oracle, etc.

I have not had a lun problem and by the way, there is ZERO wait I/O.

Thanks for everyone's imput.

m_88

Are you still using the Xiotech? We are considering using the Mag 3D with an N class and HP-UX 11i. We were told to use Emulex cards to see past 8 luns. Thanks.
VINCENT SPURGEON
Frequent Advisor

We have some Mags and a customer with a 3D, but I've heard the same about the Emulex, but I have no experience with that card.