1752786 Members
5791 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

AFTER UPGARDING TO FIRMWARE 1.18A, CANNOT CREATE RAID 5 VOLUMES

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

AFTER UPGARDING TO FIRMWARE 1.18A, CANNOT CREATE RAID 5 VOLUMES

The problem is that when I upgraded firm ware on array 431 to version 1.18 I was not able to do raid 5 logical volumes ANYMORE---IWAS ABLE TO DO IT BEFORE UPGRADE. Paralely on another controller and disk not on raid I install TN with all compaq drivers from smart start 4.90. Install raid card and AC 2.50. Then created raid 0 volume size 10 GA, and TN was able to acces newly created volume, BUT WHEN I CREATED RAID5 VOLUME NT REPORTED ERROR THAT CAN NOT ACCESS DISK -- UNKNOWN ERROR-trough disk manager-disk manager sees the newly created disk but can not write signature on it.
I do a lot of test, one of them also installing from begining trogh smart start NT 4.0 on raid0 volume. Installation went fine. Then i start ACU and start migrating logical volume from raid0 to raid5. Migration process was going fine, i do also some restart of machine-ewerything went OK, and then suddenly the lights on my disks stop blinking, so the migration process was at the end. This happend when i was restarting the machine and soon after that i got NT BLUE SCREEN: STOP 07B , INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE, and on the screen was mentioned CPQ32FS2.SYS, CPQARRAY2.SYS ....
SOME OTHER FACTS WITHOUT OREDER:
---FDISK WAS NOT ABLE DO DELETE PARTITONS--RAID 5 VOLUMES- ALSO PARALELY INSTALLED LINUX....
---DIAGNOSIS RUN THROUGH f10 REPORT NO ERRORS
---AFTER TRAYING TO ACCESS RAID 5 LOGICAL VOLUME TROGH DISK MANAGER AND WRITE SIGNATURE ON IT NT REPORT ERROR AND AFTER THAT I WAS NOT ABLE TO RUN ACU AND IN THE COMPAQ EWENT NOTIFICATION I GET CRITICAL ERROR :
Drive Array Controller Failure (Bus 0, Slot 3),Drive Array Subsystem,Critical,2,11/8/00 5:57 PM,11/8/00 5:29 PM
Drive Array Controller Failure (Bus 0, Slot 3),Drive Array Subsystem,Critical,1,11/8/00 6:24 PM,11/8/00 6:24 PM
--If i start instalation trogh smart start and created wolume of raid 5 thenm the installation process stoped when it was traying to write system partition to the disks.
IF DESIRED I CAN PROVIDE MORE INFORMATION.

And also i have another qustion:
1. i am planing to manualy install MICROSOFT Y2K, AND THE QUESTION IS HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT that would my instalation NORMALY SEE THE LOGICAL VOLUME RAID 5 CREATED TROGH ACU OR F8 RAID PROGRAM.
2. REBUILD CREATION AND EXTENSION OF LOGICAL VOLUMES Gb PER HOUR---HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR MY CONTROLER IF I SET IT UP WITH HIGH, NORMAL OR LOW PRIORITY. IN HOURS PER G BYTE PLEASE.
3. WHERE CAN I FIND OLD BIOS FOR RAID 431 BECAUSE IT IS NOT AVIABLE IN ANYONE PUBLIC RELEASED OPIONS PACK.
4. I LOST THE DISKETE WICH I USED TO UPGRADE FIRMWARE ON RAID 431, AND I HEARD THAT I WOULD FIND THE OLD BIOS HERE. IS THAT TRUE.

HERE ARA SOME SYSTEM INFORMATION
Product . . . . . . . . . . . . ProLiant ML370
Machine ID
From System Board . . . . . . CPQ0690
Processor . . . . . . . . . . . Pentium III(R) at 800 MHz
Slot . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1
Memory Boards Identified:
System Board
DIMM Slot 1 (SDRAM) . . . . 128 Megabytes
DIMM Slot 2 (SDRAM) . . . . 128 Megabytes
DIMM Slot 3 . . . . . . . . 0 Megabytes
DIMM Slot 4 . . . . . . . . 0 Megabytes
Total Compaq Memory . . . . . . 256 Megabytes

Base Memory
System Total . . . . . . . . . 638 Kbytes
Amount Free . . . . . . . . . 599 Kbytes (614192 Bytes)
Secondary Cache . . . . . . . 256K
CPU ID . . . . . . . . . . . . 0686
System ROM
Revision . . . . . . . . . . 08/24/2000
Family . . . . . . . . . . P17

Drive Controller 1, Compaq Smart Array 431 Controller
IDA Firmware Revision . . . . 1.18
Array Accelerator Memory . . . 2048 Kbytes
Reserved for reads . . . . . 2048 Kbytes
Accelerator Status . . . . . . Enabled
Battery count . . . . . . . 0
Batteries charged . . . . . 0