5358 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: AUTORAID 12H

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Sykes

AUTORAID 12H

My manager has asked me to create a new test application area on our test server. The problem is it won't fit at the moment!
I have 2 LUNS - LUN 0 and LUN 1. If I wanted to and it was possible I could delete everything on this autoraid (LUN 0 + LUN 1) and then bung in some new disks from an old autoraid. When I powered the autoraid up, would the disks from the old autoraid be formatted automatically? I grateful for advice.
From mati
5 REPLIES 5
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Matt,
you take the disks from old autoraid, insert them into this one. Then, this autoraid should probably NOT include them automatically (because there're signatures from other autoraid written on them) and you have to go to this autoraid's front panel and include these disks manually to the disk set. After they will be included, autoraid should format them and balance data across all the available disks. After balancing will be done you will have additional space to create your LUNs.
Please note: data on 'new' disks you'll insert into this autoraid will be lost
Eugeny
Steve Labar
Valued Contributor

I agree with Eugeny's steps for inserting the disks. If you are adding disks to the AutoRAID, there is no reason to delete the old LUNs. The AutoRAID can be configured with upto 7 LUNs (0-7). You can simply add the disks and create additional LUNs as desired. The additional LUN can be treated as its own file system or can be included in an already configured LVM filesystem.

Good Luck.

Steve

Hello again.
All my disks have been installed now! I have this message now - Unallocated (avail for LUNs) = 41449 MB *
an I create a new LUN using SAM?
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
Solution

Better using autoraid's control panel. It's simpler :o) Then issue 'ioscan -fn' on the host to let it scan for new LUNs.
But if you'll use SAM to create LUNs using SAM - just after creating LUNs you'll be able to create pvs and vgs
Eugeny
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

I agree with Eugeny, the control pannel is easier, but is going to give you less control over the _exact_ size of the new lun you create. It is particularly more reliable to use the control panel when you have problems with the AutoRaid management software on the host that communicates management requests with the array.

Just to note though, the device file for the new lun will not appear straight away.
After:

ioscan -fnkC disk

the LUN will be recognised by the OS, the device file will appear after insf -eC disk.
(unless it was already present on the host)

You can then
pvcreate /dev/rdsk/cXtYdZ (corresponding to the luns devicefile) and then vgextend it to a volume group, or put it in a new volume group.

Then go ahead create LVs and filesysyems.

Later,
Bill

It works for me (tm)