1752272 Members
4654 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Add a 18Gb harddisk

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Add a 18Gb harddisk

I have a Proliant 1500 server with one RAID-5 array with 3 18Gb hard disks. I have added a fourth 18GB drive. I run the Array Configuration Utility to add the drive to the existing array. No Problem. After about 5 hours the drive is part of the array. But then I want to use the free space I created. If I want to enlarge the array it says that the operation is destructive. Question: It this a destructive operation. If so, how can I use the free space without deleting the existing data on the array?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I see this question is a week old ..Were you successful? I want to do the same using cpqonlin.nlm on my Novell server, instead of the Array Config utility. What O.S. are you working with?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I ran into the same problem with a DH controller last week. Early versions of the controllers allow the array to be expanded but not the logical drive. Unfortunately to utilize the extra disk space calls for a rebuild of the system. Newer controllers don't have this problem. Make sure you have a good backup and good luck!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

You should the Online Array Configuration Utility ( CPQONLIN.NLM ) to exapnd the additional drive space .