108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Add disks to an EVA 5000 to preserve performance

SOLVED
Go to solution
carboni
Occasional Contributor

Add disks to an EVA 5000 to preserve performance

I have an EVA 5000 with a disk group containing 62 disks of size 72 GB. I have to add 9 disks of size 146 GB. To preserve performance it's better:
1) to add the new 9 disks on the same disk group (obtaining a 71 disks disk group of different size),
2) or to create a new disk group containing only the 9 disks of 146 GB size?
The LUN are presented to a two node service guard cluster (OS HP-UX 11.23, LVM). I have to extend an LVM Volume Group (vgextend) with six Logical Volume (lxextend) then I have to extend the six file system interested.

Anyone can help me to chose the better solution to preserve performance?
Thank you very much
4 REPLIES 4
tossogue1980
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Re: Add disks to an EVA 5000 to preserve performance

for perfomance know that the higher the number of disk in a disk group the better the performances .so i will suggest that you the 9 disk to the existing disk. extending the volume has nothing to do with where you will put the 9 disk if you create another disk group you will need to do the same as if you add them to the existing disk group.

and the best practice for perfromance when it comes to EVA always try to have less Disk Group and more Disk in a disk group

cheers
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

note.
When putting disks of different size in a disk groupe.
The EVA will reserver the space from 2 or 4 (Depends on the disk protection level) of the largest disk's in the disk groupe for disk failure.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

carboni
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,
thank you very much for the useful information and for spending your valuable time.

Best Regards
Antonio
Eric v Willegen
Advisor

Note. The Peformance can be somewhat degraded because there is much more i/o first to the new added 146 Gb disks then to the 72 Gb Disks.

Is the EVA very near full capacity? this can degrade the performance. If so, you can add a diskgroup with only the 146 Gb disks.