6053 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding Disk Array 12H Controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob Farrar_2

Adding Disk Array 12H Controller

I've searched and searched but find no information about adding a 2nd controller. All the info I find is related to replacing a controller. I simply want to add one. What are the steps to add a controller? Also, the new controller likely has updated firmware that I'd like to copy to the old controller. Can I make the new controller the primary to accomplish this without physically removing the old one?
7 REPLIES 7
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding Disk Array 12H Controller

Rob,

FIRST step, DO A BACKUP!!!!

Second, print this:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/manual_set/lpg28364.pdf

Starting on page 37 it describes FIRMWARE updates. The IMPORTANT thing is that you CAN NOT downgrade a controllers firmware, and attempting to do such could damage the controllers!!! As for the physical controller, simply install it after you do step one (above).

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Rob Farrar_2

Harry, Try as I might, I can't open or save the PDF you reference. I'll keep trying.
Do I have to power down the array before plugging in the new controller?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

As far as I know you don't need to shutdown the array in order to install a second controller. However, the two controllers need to have the same firmware version.

The first thing you need to do is to use the "view settings" menu to view the current firmware in the controller you have and make note of this information. Then insert the new controller in the array by putting the levers all the way out, inserting the controller into the disk array and pressing the centre of the levers until they click into place. If there is a firmware mismatch, the message "firmware needed" will appear on the front panel. If this happens, you can copy the firmware of the primary contoller to that of the secondary controller by using

download -M array-id

where array-id can be brought by using the command:

arraydsp -i

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ok, sorry, you want to switch primary and secondary controllers first.

To do this, Press "menu", then select "cntrl changes". Select "Switch Cntrl", and then select "Reset" and select "confirm". Do this before performing the firmware upgrade of the controller (if you need to).

You can also switch primary controllers using the ARMserver command arraymgr. The command is:

arraymgr -c { X|Y } array-id

where array-id can be brought by command arraydsp -i

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Just another thing:

When you perform a download command, the array is shut down automatically before proceeding in downloading the firmware. I would suggest that you schedule a downtime in case you need to upgrade firmware to one of your controllers.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

hi rob.

althouh my reply is a bit late:
you'll see a FIRMWARE NEEDED
on your controll pannel if the HP order gets wrong and they send you a controller with different f/w than your curent controller (I'm guessing X)

If you see that you need to decide which you want to keep: X or Y firmware.

Look at the FIRMWARE NEEDED screen
if it's X FIRMWARE Y NEEDED
X is your primary controller.

Go to view settings - firmware - to check your fw revision. let's say HP56.
Go to view - primary controller to check which is the primary controller (controlling the display) - let's say it confirms X (the original)

X is HP56 firmware.

You can then use switch controller from cntrl changes

Then repeat the view settings:
You'll end up knowing:
Y is HP60
for example.
The Y controller is now your pri controller (controlling the display)

Now the COPY FIRMWARE option is in controller changes and will copy f/w from pri to secondary.

Use switch controller to swop pri controller around.
Use view settings - pri - to find out who is pri.
An view settings - firmware - to find out what f/w is on the pri.

Then copy f/w to load the f/w from pri-> secondary.

Note. It is best staying on the f/w it was working on before.. no host patch considerations for the ARMServer.

AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE downgrade or you could be in trouble - a format array and pull controller batteries may be the only escape. (data loss)

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Rob Farrar_2

Thanks to all who replied. I ran into several learning opportunities through this process. In the end, all is done and functioning.

Thanks again,

Rob