Disk Enclosures
1748246 Members
3081 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding a Drive with Compaq Array Config Utility

Andrew Wert

Adding a Drive with Compaq Array Config Utility

We are adding a drive to RAID-5 array on Compaq server with a compaq SMARTarray 2DH Controller. The array is holds the bootable partition, OS and data.

Running the Array Config Utlity in Windows NT Server allows us to add the drive to the array. After we expand the array to use the new free space available, it returns a message that says "Modifying thsi logical drive will cause all logical drives to be deleted. Any data will be lost..."

If this true? If so, what is the recommended process to add a drive?
3 REPLIES 3
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding a Drive with Compaq Array Config Utility

Hello;

The 2DH controller does not have the feature that allows you to extend a logical drive.

After adding the drive to the RAID-5 array, try adding an additional logical drive rather than extending the existing one.

Hope that helps,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Andrew Wert

Here is what I ended up doing...

At the system level (DOS), the Raid array was presented as C:.

So, I booted with a Ghost boot disk. Ghost Imaged the RAID Array C: Peer-to-Peer over ethernet to a workstation hard drive.

Killed the Raid Set, added the drive, then put the ghost back on.

It booted great. The pagefile.sys was set to zero, so I reset it. This makes sence...neither Ghost or myself wanted to image a page file.

The shares were also gone, so I added them. (Don't know why the shares were deleted.)
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Or you could do what you did...

:-)

cheers!

jb
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.