108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding a New Disk Enclosure to EVA4000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Subentu
Frequent Advisor

Adding a New Disk Enclosure to EVA4000

My EVA4000 has one disk enclosure and I want to add another enclosure.

According to the standards, the new enclosure should be between the first enclosure and the controllers.

Can we install the new enclosure so that, the old enclosure is between the new enclosure and the controllers? (So that effectively the new enclosure becomes enclosure no.1 and the old enclosure becomes enclosure no.2)

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding a New Disk Enclosure to EVA4000

It is not recommended to do that, though it would probably work out. You may have a problem with support if something ever went wrong.

Why not just move the existing disk enclosure down?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Subentu
Frequent Advisor

We have to move around a lot of stuff in the racks to have the enclosures in the same rack, due to rack space concerns, so having this way would solve us a lot of trouble ;-)

Will the old enclosure count as the enclosure no. 2, if it is connected to the ID port 2? And if the new closure will count as the enclosure no.1 if it is connected to the ID port 1?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Are the racks right next to each other?

I don't recall HP making long CAN Bus cables. (Just an extension bus for shelves 13 through 18). The CAN Bus is going to determine the position of the shelf (the ID).

How far away would the new enclosue be from the other enclosure?

I think you are going to have a hard time finding the right hardware to make this work properly.

Do you have 10u of continuous space elsewhere in the room? You would be better off moving the whole unit and adding the shelf.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Subentu
Frequent Advisor

Yes you were right. The cables were not long enough, so I had to move all the servers to make space.