Disk Enclosures
1753930 Members
9425 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding a Tape Drive to the Second Channel?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Adding a Tape Drive to the Second Channel?

Hello,

I have an existing web server that is RAID 5 in an external RAID case. I am using a SmartArray-2 card out of a Proliant 1500, with a custom PC. I wish to use the internal channel for a Compaq (SDT 9000) 12/24GB DAT Drive. I plugged the tape drive in, but it does not show up as taking an SCSI ID during POST. Needless to say, it doesn't show up in NT either.

Question is, do I just plug it in and power it on? Or do I need to use the array configuration utility to turn the internal channel on or something?

To make matters more complex, the only thing Compaq about this server is the array card, and the RAID Case. I tried booting the Compaq SmartStart CD, thinking the array configuration would fire up, but it just gave an error message about "invalid enumeration" ect.. I believe it didn't start, because it's not a complete Compaq server.

So, how do I enter the RAID configuration and turn the internal channel on? Or is this not a possible configuration.. RAID on the external port, tape drive on the internal..??

Thanks for any info.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding a Tape Drive to the Second Channel?

Sorry, but the Smart 2 array controllers don't support anything but hard drives connected to them. So your tape drive isn't going to work while connected to this Smart Array controller.

The Smart Array controllers are only designed to work in Compaq servers. That is why the Smart Start CD doesn't work. For a possible workaround, you may try running the Array Configuration Utility version 1.20 rev B to configure the array controller in your non-Compaq server. It MAY work. No guarantees. Run the Disk Builder option from your smart start CD, then select Array Configuration Utility that supports bootable DOS diskettes. On Smart Start 4.9 the ACU version is 1.20 rev B. It may be different on your version of Smart Start.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding a Tape Drive to the Second Channel?

Thanks for the speedy reply. I bought a Ultra Wide SCSI controller and hooked the tape drive up that way. I had a feeling the RAID card only supported hard drives, no tape drives.

Again, thank you.