New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a new Diskshelf in MSA1000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Adding a new Diskshelf in MSA1000

Hi,

I want to upgrade my MSA1000 by adding a new diskshelf.

Current configuration includes:

Dual controllers
2 Disk shelves

Please suggest how can i proceed with this activity. If anyone has any implementation guide for this, please share the link.

waiting for response
10 REPLIES 10
supratik

Hi Fenny,

In your configuration one more disk shelve(MSA 30) can be added. The same can be added by using one of the SCSI ports at the back of the enclosure. Pleas check the attached pdf for more details.

Hope you will find this information useful.
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Hi Surptik,

Thanks for replying.

I have a separate Dual channel SCSI I/O module with me. Please tell me DO i need to power down my MSA for adding the disk enclosure?
And first i need to attach empty enclosure with MSA and then once it is detected in ACU then i need to add the HDD one by one?

Please confirm that. Am waiting for your reply.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

It's an MSA1000 or MSA1500?

The MSA1000 has a shelf for 14 disks in the same enclosure as the controllers. Then it has 2 SCSI ports on the back to add two MSA30.

The MSA1500 includes only two controllers and I/O modules on the back. You can connect only one MSA30 to each SCSI I/O module.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

But the MSA1500 can be equiped with up to four I/O modules and can then connect to four single-bus MSA30, right?
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Hi Vcespon.

I have MSA1000 with already 2x diskshelves configured.

Now i want to add one more diskshelf with 14 HDD. I have a separte Dual SCSI I/O module with me.

Now i want to know

DO i need to shutdown the MSA for adding the new diskshelf?

Once the empty diskshelf is detected by MSA controllers and i can see it in ACU then i need to add the HDD one by one?

Waiting for your reply.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Fenny,
if it is an MSA1000 (a disk enclosure with the controllers are part of the enclosure), then you cannot upgrade it beyond two external disk enclosures (and those must have single-connector I/O modules).
Even if you have enclosures with two-connector I/O modules, you cannot "daisy-chain" them.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Fenny: I'm still thinking that you have a MSA1500. The MSA1000 has only two SCSI connectors, one above the other, and you can only connect 2 MSA30 to it (for a total of 42 disks).

The MSA1500 uses I/O modules with two VHDCI connectors, one next to the other, but you can connect only one MSA30 to each I/O module.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Lets try to find out what it really is...

Attach picture shows MSA1000 on the top and MSA1500 below.

Don't be confused if the controllers in the MSA1500 say
- "Modular SAN Array 1000" or
- "Modular Smart Array 1000"

that is because the MSA1000 and the MSA1500 use the same controller module.
Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input especially the pic.

It's MSA1500 and on the controllers it has MSA 1000 controllers written over it.

Now please answer the below queries.

DO i need to shutdown the MSA for adding the new diskshelf?

Once the empty diskshelf is detected by MSA controllers and i can see it in ACU then i need to add the HDD one by one?

waiting for reply.