New Discussion юеВ

Adding a new host to VA7400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Celal UNALP
Advisor

Adding a new host to VA7400

Hi all,

I have one running MC/SG Cluster consisting of 2 `Brocade SilkWorm 2400(8 port), 2 identical `hp server rp5470` and 1 `HP SureStore Virtual Array VA7400 (14*36GB Autoraid Configured and Full Path Redundant)`.

Nowadays, I will add a new Linux server with approximately 100 GB storage to our network. I think VA7400 has been underutilized for long time (now SDM shows 120 GB unallocated in total of two redundancy groups).

Here comes the challenge : Can I use this unallocated space if I put a new FC HBA to my new Linux server and connect it to the switched fabric?
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding a new host to VA7400

The short answer is YES.

Be aware though that if the VA7400 is set to AUTORAID mode and you allocate that addition 120GB to LUNs, then you may cause the array to start putting data into RAID 5DP rather than the more efficient RAID 1+0.

Celal UNALP
Advisor

In theory, we're OK now.

Now I need to know the potential failure steps. Such as I wonder what is 'Port Behaviour of VA7400' and why it's set to 'HP-UX'?

Can I communicate with the VA7400 without any configuration modification? If yes, please indicate that zoning is required or not on the Brocade SilkWorm 2400.

Thanks in advance
Arend Lensen
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Celal,

Do NOT change the QFT queue full treshold, leave it on the default (240 or 750). Linux might nog work correct when receiving queue full reponses from the array. This is a bug in the OS and has nothing to do with the array itself.
Regards,
Arend
Roger Buckthal_2
Frequent Advisor

First, make sure you upgrade to HP19 firmware.

The total usable capacity of your array is 337GB. I├в d leave 10% un-allocated. It can help AutoRAID work better. You├в ll need to set the Host Table; the default setting of HPUX is not compatible with Linux. (and keep the QFT at 750).

The best bet is to have someone at HP run a performance analysis for you. You├в ll see how busy the array, the LUNs and the RGs are. This can provide guidance of where to create the new LUNs to maximize performance.

Or, create away. If no problems, then great, else call HP fo