Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Disk Enclosures
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding disks to 12H

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greg Stark_1
Frequent Advisor

Adding disks to 12H

We have an Autoraid 12H with 7 x 18G drives. We ordered 5 more refurbs to add to it. When I added the first one, the array went to
Array State = WARNING
- State Changing
for a few seconds, then to
Array State = WARNING
- Physical Disk Downed or Disk Problem
It stayed that way for a long until I eventually ran arracfg -D B3 -a sn# at which time it went back to "Ready".

My memory if a little foggy, but it seems like in the past when I would add disk the system would need to rebuild for a while and show it's progress - 95.. 96.. 97.. 98.. 99.. Ready.

I have now added the other 4 drives by inserting them, then doing the arraycfg and the system shows all the disks as included and the total disk is what it should be with the 5 new drives. Attached is an arraydsp -a where to me all looks ok. Is it? Or, did I miss something and the data didn't really stripe across the new disks.

Also, if all is well, why doesn't the "Raid 0/1 Capacity" increase in relation to the new unallocated disks?
3 REPLIES
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding disks to 12H

My memory if a little foggy, but it seems like in the past when I would add disk the system would need to rebuild for a while and show it's progress - 95.. 96.. 97.. 98.. 99.. Ready.

> Auto Include = ENABLED
> normally this is the case,
> however, if a disk was previously
> used in an autoraid, you will
> have to manually add it.
> You may see this in the arraylog 's

I have now added the other 4 drives by inserting them, then doing the arraycfg and the system shows all the disks as included and the total disk is what it should be with the 5 new drives.
>
> They were all possibly previously used
> in another autoraid.
>
>

Attached is an arraydsp -a where to me all looks ok. Is it? Or, did I miss something and the data didn't really stripe across the new disks.

>
> All looks fine
> but check the arraylog for history.

Also, if all is well, why doesn't the "Raid 0/1 Capacity" increase in relation to the new unallocated disks?
>
> create a new lun, and it should.
> Although don't believe all you read ;p

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Eric Firkey
Regular Advisor

I'm trying to use previously used disks with the 12H as well. How does the 12H know these disks are used? and can I format them first with SCSI toolbox and then have the 12H autoinclude them?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Eric, according to the forums etiquette you should open your own new thread.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!