Disk Enclosures
1753321 Members
6254 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: After Expanding Array there is a problem creating Logical Drive

LVokes

After Expanding Array there is a problem creating Logical Drive

I have a Proliant DL380 G2 with a Smart Array 5i controller. The server is running W2K with all patches and Systems Management 7.2. When built the server had 3x36.4GB hard drives setup in a Raid 5 with 3 Logical Drives C, D & E.

Last week I added 3 additional 36.4GB drives and expanded the array using the Array Configuration Utility. When I go back in to Array Configuration Utility to Create the Logical drive, I know see under Configuration View that there is 83.3GB of unused space. But when I go to create the Logical Drive the max allowed to create is 69.5GB.

I called HP support was was told that this is a parity overhead for Raid 5. I don't believe that answer and know there is another underlying problem but would like to know what it is.

thank you.
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The values look pretty reasonable to me:

83.3 * (5/6) = 69.4166
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Laurie:

What is the max allowed if you try to make a RAID0 logical drive?

ACU DOES display the Usable Free Space in an Array without any overhead. When you go to create a RAID5 logical disk, the max allowed will NOT be the "Usable Free Space" in the array, the overhead must be taken into consideration so HP is correct in what they say.

Even though, it does sound like you missing some space. What are the sizes of the 3 other logical drives? and are there any hot spares?

I would have calculated the Usable Free Space to be a bit higher.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

And when i say "a bit higher" I do mean only a bit. Between 5 and 10GB higher.

It could also just be me not having the actual values in fron of me.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
LVokes

Thanks for everyone's input to help clarify. Yes when I choose Raid 0 I do see the entire free space. My first logical drive is 69GB and the second was 34GB. Which led me to belive that when I added 3 more 36GB drives to the array I should have gotten 103GB of usable space for a logical drive.
daniel_361

I have the same problem, with 4 HDD 73 GB ( Raid 5 ) and I add 2 HDD 73 GB. I can expand only 52 GB, and the rest of 102 GB remain unalocated.
Could you explain me what is the problem?
I attach a print screen.