4274 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Amber Light flashing on VA7100 disks

CSP_AFRICA
Occasional Contributor

Amber Light flashing on VA7100 disks

Hello Everyone,

I just installed a VA7100 on a L3000 server (HPux 11.11).
The VA has a single FC controller.
First the amber led of the VA and The disks were flashing.
I fixed the amber VA led by puuting resiliency settings in SDM to single controller but the Amber leds of the disks are still flashing.
I can acces the disks and i 've alreday configured the LUNS.
VA firmware is HP15.

Thx for ur reply
It is hard to find a solution for an intermittent problem
4 REPLIES 4
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Re: Amber Light flashing on VA7100 disks

First off, you should upgrade your FW to current revs.

As for the LEDs, here's a link to a manual describing what they mean:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/content/common/manuals/lpg29328/lpg29328.pdf

It's supposed to mean that it's "identifying the drives"; has the unit been formatted?

-Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Please attach 'armdsp -a' and 'armlog -e' outputs zipped to your next reply. Single controller VAs should be upgraded with 'single controller' released firmware SC01, not HP18
Eugeny
CSP_AFRICA
Occasional Contributor

No the VA was not formated
but it gave no map when i first tried to access it with the serial interface.

I will upgrade the Va to the current firmware and get back to u

Thx
It is hard to find a solution for an intermittent problem
Vladimir Vybiral
Valued Contributor

No Map? That would mean You have lost Your image disks - both of them. Is it a brand new array? If yes and there is no data on it, restart it and try vfpfmt command from the serial line (will reformat the array!!!). If it is not a new array, try vfprecover command, but I think it will be useless... How have You come into this situation? If the array has been used before, have You lost some disks recently? Have You migrated some disks from another VA array into this one - or from a ds2405 box? Or have You removed some disks from the array? Basically, to explain, there are (or in Your case, should be) two randomly picked disks, that how a copy of the virtualization engine and maps - these disks are called "image disks" and You can identify them either in CommandView SDM GUI, clicking on disk - normal disks contain User Data, image disks contain User Data and Meta Data; or from CLUI or serial line (vfp command is vfpdsp with some parameters...).
When You have a No Map message, the array cannot find Your image disks with their virtualization info, a pretty bad situation - I would not recommend to upgrade FW in this state, as image disk is also used to store a FW file / could lead to potential problems... Better contact HP about this.... BR, hope this explains something, Vladimir
When speaking, Your words should sound better than Your silence - Arabic proverb