1753580 Members
6116 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Array Best Practices?

Horst Hinz
Occasional Contributor

Array Best Practices?

I'm trying to figure out what the best practice is for utilizing RAID and logical drives. In a situation with 2 drives that I want to set up as RAID 1, is it best to create on logical drive on the Array controller and then divide up the disk through Windows into logical partitions, or is it better to create 3 Logical Drives through the array controller and have Windows see each one as a seperate disk?
3 REPLIES 3
Sean Lee_2
Advisor

Re: Array Best Practices?

You can go to Google and search for:
best practices pdf
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Horst,

It depends on your configuration and your needs? Is the array in a server or a SAN? I usually prefer to stay with default settings for RAID controllers for most situations which would result in a single LD on the array controller and assign logical drives in the NOS. Again it depends on your needs. What is your configuration?

Greg
Lets Roll!
Horst Hinz
Occasional Contributor

My situation varies depending on the server that we are building. Often we have more than just 2 drives in the system, but I was really just trying to find a best practice recommendation on whether to do multiple logical drives on one array, or just one logical drive per array and then do the partitioning through the OS.

I'm not looking to find the best RAID level for a particular application, there's plenty of documentation on any application for RAID level setup.