1751800 Members
5524 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Array Configuration

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Array Configuration

The system is a Proliant 3000R, the backplane is simplex. It is connected to SCSI 1 of a Smart 3200. I have configured one array of 3 - 18GB hard drives raid 5. Here is what I need to know - can I install another 5 hard drives and create a second array without affecting the first array.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Array Configuration

Yes, just hook the controller to the second drive cage and set it up, just make sure you do a full backup just in case you have an issues. It works just like expanding and existing array. You will see unassigned disks in the ACU, just do a create a new array, and assign those drives, use the smart-start cd it seems to work a little faster than the disks when you hit F10 and are then prompted for the drive array utility disks, and it writes the info to the same place so it works great.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes
You can't connect the 3200 to the other drive cage as you haven't got the duplex option.............
Just stuff the disks in, run the acu and create a second logical drive. It will walk you through the process.
shut the server down first before adding the drives.
I do however agree with the do a full back up bit though.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks Guys , your suggestions are correct and greatly appreciated .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I wonder if his 5 additional drives, if configured in a RAID-5, end up being a larger array, if the controller will automatically promote it to Logical Drive 1 and the original array to Logical Drice 2 and try and boot from the Logical Drive 1, which is not formatted or configured. This is the problem I encountered. I had an original array of RAID-1 configured 9.1 GB drives (2 each) in a PL1600R. System was configured and booted fine, array BIOS at version 4.44 using ACU 2.5. I added 4 more 18.2 drives and the SA 3200 automatically demoted the original array to Logical Drive 2 and made the additional 4 drives a RAID-5 and made it Logical Drive 1 and now the system won't boot unless I take the drives out. Any ideas, guys? I need this extra partition as Logical Drive 2 and the original one back as Logical Drive 1.

Jon Golberg/Omaha, NE