5102 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Array Controller & Expanding

vluu
Frequent Advisor

Array Controller & Expanding

Hi,

We have a server which is mirror with 2 x 18.2 GB drives, and a third 18.2 GB drive is set a spare. It is running out of disk space daily.

I would like to add the spare to the array so that I can increase the disk space. Firstly, I would need to find out what tyoe of Smart Array controller is on the Compaq DL380 (old beige ones) without shutting down the server. How can I find this out so that I can download the appropiate ACU to work on the array. There is no Array utility installed.

Thank-you for your help.
7 REPLIES 7
vluu
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I found the type of Array controller. It's an Compaq Integrated SMART Array Controller.

Would anybody know where I can get the latest ACU that supports the Compaq Integrated SMART Array Controller.

Thanks
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

if you are reffering to DL380 G1 then u can check the below link

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10495_na/10495_na.HTML#Storage

Its describes the server/Array controller features.

Andy
vluu
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I download and installed ACU for windows version 7.80.6.0. It was able to detect my array controller as embedded integrated Smart Array controller.

I have already swapped one of my mirrror 18.2GB drives with a 72.8GB drive and it is in the process of being rebuilt. Once the rebuliding is complete, I will swap the last 18.2GB drive with another 72.8GB drive and wait until it is rebuilt.

Once the all the drives have been rebuiilt, how do I expand the array so that it uses 72.8GB instead of 18.2GB. I do not see an option in the ACU where a can expand, but from the configuration wizard, I see the migrate option. Is it the migrate option I should use???

Thanks
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

Until you have "free space" on the array I don't think the ACU will give you the option to expand a Logical drive.
Once you have completed swapping the drives over to the 72GB units you should then see free space listed for the array. click on the logical drive and the menu on the right should give you an option to expand the array. Click this and type in the new size you want for the logical drive and away it should go.
At least that is the way it has worked on SA 5x and newer generation cards I have done this on.
vluu
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

I am swapping te last HD with a 72GB HD and set the controller state to high rebuild. I will see if the "expand" option is available once the rebuild is done.

If there is not expand option, is there something else I can do???

Thanks
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I don`t think there should be any issues, you will be able to see the expand option once the last disk is rebuiled.

Thanks
Andy
Miguel Gonzalez Casta├▒o
Occasional Advisor

Did you have any issues? I'm about to do exactly the same upgrade you are talking about.