5291 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Array Problem

David Tang_3
Occasional Contributor

Array Problem

Hi all,

I have a AXL workstation that is connected to a array. Lately the array has a problem. If I on the array and than the workstation, the workstation is not able to boot up, but if I on the array after the system is up it is able to detect the array, but the system recognise it as a Unused array.

The problem is I do not know what is happening during bootup as the system does not have a video card.

The array is HP C2430D and the system is running on HP 10.20.

Pls help. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Celso Medina Kern
Trusted Contributor

Re: Array Problem

If wkst is booting up with array powered down, it most likely is hanging up your SCSI bus.

It seems to be a case where your array has duplicated some internal SCSI id after the maintanance. I do not know what kind of bus you have, but it can be a Fast Wide SCSI(addresses from 0-15, where 7=controller) or Single Ended(SE, 0-7, controller=7). Each single device has to have a unique SCSI id in the bus. Depending on your array it can be configured on front panel or rear switches.
You can check your devices in hp-ux running ioscan. Ex:
# ioscan -fC disk
also, you can compare to what you have from kernel:
# ioscan -fkC disk
Hopefully you can identify what was the correct id for your array.

Best regards,
Celso
...from Brazil
God bless pessimists, they did the backup!
David Tang_3
Occasional Contributor

Hi,
I have checked and there does not seems to be any conflict. Also no changes were made to the SCSI setting during the whole process. Pls advise.
Celso Medina Kern
Trusted Contributor

There is not information enough, but I can only see a hardware issue. If scsi ids are ok, you could have a cable problem. SCSI buses are more suceptible to present problems when you have more devices in the bus. Maybe some terminator is damaged, or even incorrectly set. Terminator enabled should be provided ONLY at bus endpoints. You would better having a technician analysing this problem, since is is not much visible without detailed data.
God bless pessimists, they did the backup!
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

It's a h/w problem. Watch out for scsi cables.. It does sound like a scsi id problem.
send ioscan -fn
output
and have a look at your syslog and OLDsyslog for any clues.
Try connecting the device to another system to eliminate it as a source of the pb..

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)