1753964 Members
7796 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Array & Disk Performance Issues

Richard Lundgren
Occasional Advisor

Array & Disk Performance Issues

I have a proliant 1600 with 2 arrays connected to it.......a UE running of a Smart Array 221 controller and another box (an F1 I think)running on a Smart 2SL card.

The server itself has the disk running on a Smart 2/P card and is running Fedora Core 2.

The 5 disks in the server running as a RAID 5 array are performing as expected. The other 2 arrays are not performing well at all. Both of the green disk lights are constantly lit and writing data to these arrays across a network takes way too long.......approx 10 minutes to write 500 meg data.

I thought it may have been the disk syncing but this has been going on since Saturday now. All disks are compaq 9.1 ultra3 drives.

Any help or suggestions on this issue would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Richard
2 REPLIES 2
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Array & Disk Performance Issues

Have you thought that a drive may be developing bad sectors or have some other problem? If the is a problem writing to part of the disk, a long delay is produced.
FYI, HP has recommended and we concur that you replace all 9GB drives with, now, 36GB drives (18GB s are out of production as well)
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Richard Lundgren
Occasional Advisor

Re: Array & Disk Performance Issues

seems strange that it would do this in both storage arrays but not in the main tower though?